Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabrics Resources, and Other Things >

Fabrics Resources, and Other Things

Fabrics Resources, and Other Things

Old 06-01-2020, 03:29 PM

Default Fabrics Resources, and Other Things

Some of you found me when I introduced myself in another section of the Forum. I am a beginner, basically never having used a sewing machine, with the exception of a friend letting me have a little fun on theirs. So I have no real experience with anything other than hand sewing.

I went to Wally World today to look at fabrics that I might like. Big mistake! 40 mile round trip to find they were basically sold out of fabric, thread, and other things needed for sewing machines and quilting. This Corona virus scare has got a lot of people stocking up for the duration of the stay at home mandate.

So I am without fabric. My machine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I just hope the machine functions, as it is a refurbished unit.

What I would like to ask is, are there good sources for fabrics that won't ruin your bank account.

I also haven't a clue about the thick cotton layer that goes between the front and the back layers. How thick is the material supposed to be, and where can you purchase it?

In my introduction, someone mentioned the basic colour thread required. I think it was white and grey, but not sure. Any help, on colours I should stock up on.

I think I found a source for extra bobbins on Amazon. I am figuring I should get 20 of them, so I have at least two coloured threads on bobbins stocked. Not sure that's enough.

What do you think about the bobbin and spools of threads packages on Amazon. Are they worth the cost?, or should I just go out and purchase the individual colours needed.

As for thread, what size thread should I purchase for the assembly of the little bits and pieces of fabrics, and what sized thread should I purchase when I get to putting the three layers of the quilt together.

I also am confused on sewing machine needles. There seems to be hundreds of types and sizes and lengths. How did any of you ever wade through this quagmire?

I guess, at age 70, I am starting a bit late in life, but I finally realized I am not able to do what I did when I was young, like sports, other than walking, or camping, and other things like that. So I needed to choose something a bit more appropriate for my new physical status, especially after open heart surgery, cancer surgery, and a myriad of other zipper jobs.

Anyway, life has never been boring with me, and I would like to make the excitement a bit more palatable, and quilting seems to be about the right fit.

BTW, I will just be making lap quilts for the local seniors at the Senior Center. Some of them live on a shoestring budget, and are not as fortunate as I when It comes to being able to afford some things. I figured I would try to help out those seniors when it comes to Wintertime here in the high desert.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:42 PM

Hello and welcome!

I can read through the excitement in your post. There is so much to learn to figure out as we progress through our quilting journey. One of the nicest threads is glide thread. I use it for piecing, bobbins and quilting so it is multi-use. You can purchase the smaller cones or the larger one depending on your likes. I am a one of each color girl so have a variety of choices.

Needles? Here you go.

https://www.schmetzneedles.com/

and a 101

https://www.superiorthreads.com/

Best wishes on your fabric search!
Old 06-01-2020, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

Look at the connecting threads or Missouri Star quilt co. sites as they both sell fabric and notions. You might also look at quilting cottons from fabric.com.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:55 PM

Welcome. So glad you found us.

Many have found fabric at thrift stores and yard or estate sales. I’ve purchased online at Thousands of Bolts and Connecting Threads. CT has a clearance section with good deals. They also have pretty good deals on precuts.

When I started quilting I checked out everything I could find on quilting from the library. That was way back before YouTube. That’s my information source these days.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

In your local area you may have a Hobby Lobby or JoAnns store. They still have plenty of fabric. I don't know why the Walmarts have sold out of so much fabric. They are all like that... an employee told me it was because of people making masks, but surely not that much fabric!
Old 06-01-2020, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

Hi, and Welcome!!

I have been sewing for years (I am now 78) and still learning about new products and techniques!

The WalMarts around here - that carry sewing supplies - are quite barren now.

I have not purchased much "new" fabric for the past five to ten years - so I am behind the times as to what is available now.
I learned as I went - there are some things in my stash I still love (purchased at Walmart - and other places that were considered chain stores) - and some pieces I bought at a quilt shop that are in the "What was I thinking?" category.

As far as acquiring a stash - there are pluses and minuses to having - or not having one.

In hindsight, I would have spent much less money if I would have purchased "strictly for the project" - even at full price.
There would also not be the storage issue - - -

But acquiring was half the fun - so - - - -

Make sure that the bobbins you buy will work/fit in/on your machine. They come in slightly different styles and sizes.

Read the manual/instruction book that comes with your machine and play with it. If you lack fabric for practicing, maybe you have a bed sheet that is worn out - you can cut up - or a garment that you are willing to sacrifice.

I have a huge supply of Coats and/or Coats & Clark Dual Duty thread - which some people say their machines don't like - my
newest machine is from the mid 1980s - and it seems to work fine in all my machines. Others prefer other brands.

I recommend starting with something simple at first - as my Mom used to say -"Nothing succeeds like success."

You will find conflicting advice in the books you read and what you will read here.

One example - to wash to not wash fabric before cutting it. There are those of us that feel that is an absolutely critical step - and others that think it is an absolute waste of time, water, detergent, and electricity.

If you read what people take to a retreat - that would probably be a good starting point for acquiring "sewing stuff".

I think one is better off with a few good quality tools than a batch of so-so ones.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-01-2020 at 05:48 PM. Reason: remove excessive blank lines
Old 06-01-2020, 05:05 PM

I've bookmarked the threads mentioned. I guess my version of inexpensive doesn't exist anymore. Guess I remember too much from the 50's when gas was 15 cents a gallon, a loaf of bread was 10 cents, and so on and so forth. I should realise that based on the food prices I get at the local military commissary, everything else is basically the same.

I did purchase some 5 inch precut quilting squares on Amazon. I will use those for practise. But I am still going to have to purchase the threads, needles, backing and middle layer. That is going to take me a few weeks of reading and searching

So prewashing your fabric seems to be the requirement. I am guessing you prewash, then iron out the wrinkles. Though I don't think washing those little fabric squares I have is a good idea. Probably start fraying at the edges.

I purchased a 45 mm Martelli rotary cutter, as it looks like it will work for my arthritic fingers. I've tried it out once, and it was very easy to use.

I probably need some of those acrylic square templates and a straight. I have those on my wish list at Amazon when I can afford them. The Brother sewing machine, though only $150, still put me in hock for a month. I will have to save again for the additional tools, and all the other stuff to get started.

Yes, I am taking Everyone's advice, and watching a lot of product videos, how to videos, and will do a lot of reading online. If I can find any books on the subject in Kindle format, then I will purchase those also.

I'll let you know how the machine works out in a week or so. Will take me that long to figure out all the accessories, and how to use it.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

If you bought precut squares, they can be gently washed by hand and hung to dry. The squares will fray if washed by machine.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by CaleyH View Post
I also haven't a clue about the thick cotton layer that goes between the front and the back layers. How thick is the material supposed to be, and where can you purchase it?
Hi and welcome!
Everyone else has given you great answers to most of your questions, but I didn't see anyone address this question.
The thick cotton layer in the center is called batting. There are several types - cotton, polyester, cotton/poly blends, wool, silk, and bamboo. If you're quilting on a budget, you'll probably be sticking to cotton, poly, and cotton/poly blends. After that decision is made, it comes down to personal choice. Some people like the warmth and loft of poly, some people prefer 100% cotton, some people like blends. You can find it by searching for "batting" online. Joann's has sales and coupons that might help you get started.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:28 PM

You can wash pre-cuts in lingerie bags - I do that because the chemicals on the fabrics bother my fingernails. I also use a salad spinner for the 5 x 5 cuts. And I love buying a collection of fat quarters for the variety.

Do you know what kind of quilt you intend to make? My very first quilt was just the basic patchwork squares so I could work on matching my corners. It also help learning to cut accurate squares. And it goes very fast.

Let me know some of your interests, I may be able to share some of my stash. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 06-01-2020 at 05:38 PM.