Snaps for needle cozies

Old 07-17-2020, 07:17 AM

Default Snaps for needle cozies

I'm going to make some needle cozies for my knitting friends.
https://thenomeknitter.blogspot.com/...le-keeper.html
It calls for snaps and a snap press. I'm not familiar with these but after googling I see lots of different kinds out there. Has anyone used these and if so do you have advice as to the best kind to buy? Metal vs plastic? Anything I should avoid?
Old 07-17-2020, 07:31 AM

That is really cute for a knitting friend! I don't have a snap press, but did borrow one when I made the bandana baby bibs.... the ones I used were plastic, they were very easy to apply, not sure the brand, you just set the snap pieces onto the gripper the correct way, and clamp down, and they are set to go. I did find the plastic snaps very stiff to open at first, so before I gifted the bibs I used my finger nails to open and shut them quite a few times to loosen them up.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:15 AM

I have the old kind of snap press that you pound with a small hammer. This new type looks like a lot of fun. For most lighter weight projects the plastic snaps should work just fine but the metal ones I would use for purses and bags or jeans and the like. I don't think that the brand is going to make to much difference.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

Nifty idea!!

What about using buttons and buttonholes?
Or velcro?

I'm guessing you may have these in "inventory" ... and they would work the same!
Old 07-17-2020, 03:28 PM

I have the plastic snaps and the press --like squeezing pliers...it's very easy and I like, tho I haven't used very many times. I ordered rhe kit from ebay and got many diff colored sets.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:39 PM

Thats really cute idea, I have the plastic set and like thimble bug said they are a little stiff. I got my set on amazon,it came with everything needed. Anna
Old 07-17-2020, 04:46 PM

Thank you for the help! Sounds like the plastic will work for these, the metal might be a little too much. I thought of using Velcro and may still do that. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2020, 03:37 AM

The plastic snaps are sold at JoAnn's they are stocked by the PUL fabric for making baby stuff and some people make masks out of it. You can use an awl or something else that's sharp and pointy that you might already have to poke the holes. Then you can lightly hammer them or use pliers to attach them to the fabric. The snaps and tools the video used are from kamsnaps.com I have the snaps and the press, very addictive notions. Amazing how many things I've put snaps onto instead of buttons or velcro.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:38 AM

Take a look at Kam Snaps on the web. Excellent product and service.
Kirsten