Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ - Slider Mats >

FMQ - Slider Mats

FMQ - Slider Mats

Old 08-01-2020, 01:34 PM

Default FMQ - Slider Mats

So I found out not too long ago that I can free motion embroidery and quilt on my machine. I am over the top excited about that because I have wanted to learn how to free motion quilt since I started quilting and before I got this machine, I was bummed to discover the two machines before this didn't free motion.

I've been playing around with small sandwiches, just to get the feel of changing the knobs, figuring out my tension and yesterday, I ordered a closed toe darning foot and a 8.5" x 11" slider mat. Can't wait to get my paws on them so I can really get down to learning as much as I can, but I do have one question about the mat.

I ordered the small one because I figured that since I'm just starting out learning, keep it small and work big once I get more comfortable with the movements and speed. I saw that there is a 12" x 20" and even larger slider mats and I was just wondering if that is more personal preference or is there a working reason for them. I have a small sewing cabinet that will handle the 12 x 20 fairly easily, but anything larger than that, I would have to do some serious re-arranging of things in my quilting corner.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:47 AM

I have the supreme slider, as well as the slider mat that Missouri Star has and the best slider to me that is is a teflon mat that I have purchased to line my oven with. It does not stick down, but I tape mine down with masking tape. I use the Duck masking tape as it doesn't leave a sticky residue. This of course is JMHO.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

My Supreme Slider is about 20 years old and I'm still using it. I bought the biggest one and it does make a difference in the ease of moving the quilt. I also won't machine quilt without Machinger gloves. You can fmq on any sewing machine that works. One thing I have learned over the years of machine quilting is if your machine isn't up to the task you will lose before starting. Many of the computer new machine the whole foot will move when the quilt is tugged to the left or right. Check that out so you know exactly how aggressive you can be with the quilt and design. I do all my own machine quilting using ruler guides or free motion. Edge to edge is the best way for me, no thread ends to hide. It's fun and saves money too.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:03 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by P-BurgKay View Post
I have the supreme slider, as well as the slider mat that Missouri Star has and the best slider to me that is is a teflon mat that I have purchased to line my oven with. It does not stick down, but I tape mine down with masking tape. I use the Duck masking tape as it doesn't leave a sticky residue. This of course is JMHO.
I do the same with an oven liner, except that I use painter's tape to hold it down.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the oven liner idea! I'm currently using a supreme slider but have an oven liner I purchased in Feb and it wasn't what I wanted. Before I got around to returning it things shut down & I've been kicking myself for not taking it back. Now I am glad I didn't!
Old 08-02-2020, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

My Supreme Slider is sicklier then the Teflon love liner I use in my oven. What type or brand of oven liner do you use?
Old 08-02-2020, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

Omit the love above. Don't know where that came from. LOL
Old 08-02-2020, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My Supreme Slider is about 20 years old and I'm still using it. I bought the biggest one and it does make a difference in the ease of moving the quilt. I also won't machine quilt without Machinger gloves. You can fmq on any sewing machine that works. One thing I have learned over the years of machine quilting is if your machine isn't up to the task you will lose before starting. Many of the computer new machine the whole foot will move when the quilt is tugged to the left or right. Check that out so you know exactly how aggressive you can be with the quilt and design. I do all my own machine quilting using ruler guides or free motion. Edge to edge is the best way for me, no thread ends to hide. It's fun and saves money too.
I've tried stippling, loops, ribbons, waves and nothing has caused the foot to move. I would like to use a few ruler guides, but I'm really liking the feel of free motion, it's almost mesmerizing when you get into a rhythm.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:01 PM

I really don't want to be a debbie downer here but I have not enjoyed too many benefits with the supreme glider mat. Too many times to count, that glider mat got stitched to my quilt! The opening in the mat is now about a 3' opening with scotch tape holding it together. The past posts suggesting taping the mat down is a great idea! I love my Martelli Rings and they do a great job of moving the quilt along. An added benefit is that I don't need to take the machinger gloves off and on. Everyone has a personal preference and you'll find yours too!
Old 08-02-2020, 01:36 PM

I have the larger "supreme slider" and I like it - makes things easier.

However that said Laura Coia of SewVery Easy did a presentation to our guild a few years ago. She has all kinds of tutorials on YouTube for lots of quilting projects and sewing hacks. She suggested using a "snowcarpet" that kids use for sledding. It is a thin strong plastic rectangle that is big and easy to use. I went out the day after the meeting and found it at the dollar store and bought two. Works great, so easy & inexpensive! Just be sure to follow her tips and tape it down so your project doesn't get caught on it.
Here is her YouTube video showing how:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl5pbuFeHHg