Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
backwards >

backwards

backwards

Old 08-11-2020, 10:48 AM

Smile backwards

As I learned how to do most things on my own I do things backwards to what most of you do. Like cutting my strips of fabric. I fold and place the fabric to my left place ruler on it and use the lines on my mat to cut just move ruler to the left again and cut. It works for me.
The other thing I do backwards is freezer paper applique. Let me tell how I do it. First cut freezer paper to the size and shape you want finished appliqued piece to be. Then cut fabric 1/4 inch larger all around. Put fabric right side down (on ironing board) place freezer paper shinny side UP on it. do points first and fold over the 1/4 inch and press with dry iron. do all around the Piece.( if you get a glitch, or pucker lift up and repress so nice and smooth) Next is your choice you can then press in place and sew it down, start at point and go around till you get to about one inch from starting point, I use a old finger nail cuticle pusher and loosen the freezer paper and remove it, if careful you can use it again. and sew last inch.
the second way I do it is to remove the freezer paper and use small snips of fusible thread in fold over 1/4 inch. be careful it is tucked in good so you do not get on iron, and press, then you can place on what you are going to sew it to and use a bit of fusible thread to "pin" in place, no pins, starch or glue, nothing wet. I have been doing this for 20 or more years, and have done over 800 hearts and 13 large sunbonnet sues. (18 inches high) with no problems.
sorry so long but hope this might be of use to some one, who might be backwards too LOL
Old 08-12-2020, 03:49 AM

I've used your method for appliqué and cutting and I've been quilting for years. I wouldn't say you were backwards. You just march to your own drumbeat. Not a bad thing in my world. Happy quilting!
Old 08-12-2020, 03:51 AM

And I also press seams open. Shocking! LOL
Old 08-12-2020, 06:21 AM

I will do things backwards, like with the fusible from time to time. So so much with freezer paper. Being left handed I knit backwards and crochet backwards all the time. I have had to learn to do most things backwards over my life time. I was thrilled to be able to to freezer paper applique "almost" the way it is intended. Thanks for sharing. I don't feel so left out.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:28 AM

I do my freezer paper appliques just like you do. I certainly don't think you are doing anything backwards-you are just doing it the way you feel most comfortable doing it.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:01 AM

If it works it isn't wrong or backwards, if it works don't fix it.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:59 AM

thank you all , juliasb I taught my self to crochet left handed so I could teach a friend how to crochet. Not a easy thing to do, so I can see how hard it is to do every thing the way righties do when you are a lefty. Yes I listen to my own drummer and go the right way for me. When I am teaching one person or a class I show them as many ways as I know so they can find the way that is right for them. I hope you all find the way that works best for you! happy quilting!
Old 08-12-2020, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

I envision how or what I want done and do it the best way for me to get it the way I want. Having rules for creativity is ridiculous and even more so to think they have to be followed.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:07 AM

I agree to use the method that works for you. I was cutting fabric like you until the instructor said it was backwards too.

She explained a couple of reasons to cut with the ruler over the fabric. Lines on the mat can be off a titch. Repeated cutting on the mats can leave grooves in the mat. If the rotary cutter slips, you are cutting into the strip you need. If you cut into the yardage, you just re-cut the straight edge. These weren't big issues in my view but I did mange to change methods.

Now I cut with the ruler over the fabric. I use the grid lines on the mat to square up the edges.

This is one of my favorite cutting tutorials. It makes sense that we really aren't backwards at all. She mentions that the horizontal line of the ruler doesn't matter at 2:00 minute mark. I do check the horizontal line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfvKE0Y6npk