Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another binding discussion >

Another binding discussion

Another binding discussion

Old 08-30-2020, 01:06 PM

You did a great job. That's how I do most of my bindings.
As RhondaK said, it's hard to get it 100% straight specially
on large quilts.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

I will stick with the way I sew them on. I sew on the back turn to front and sew it down. It works everytime. When something work I just stick with it.

Your binding looks good.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:38 PM

To me, I thought your binding looked great. I too sew on the back, then flip it to the front. I glue my front binding however. That way I can adjust it and place it exactly where it will catch the back binding when I sew it down. Works great. I have never been disappointed in my binding once I discovered glueing it. I am not a fan of hand sewing I must say. For those that are I truly admire your work when I see it at shows.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:36 PM

I do my bindings the way the OP does. My arthritis won’t let me do hand binding, and I don’t like the extra time and fabric needed for a flange. One thing that helped me keep an even width is serging my quilts before binding. It gives me a firm, even edge to roll the binding over. I also found it best if I place my pins right in the seam line, parallel to the edge of the quilt instead of pinning perpendicular to the edge or using a clip.I have even played with water soluble tape and glue. The serger and the pinning had the most improvement in my binding by far.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:51 AM

My issue has always been getting the corners to look presentable. Until I'm happy with the corners I'm going to have to skip this method - it just seems harder. I really don't mind hand sewing, also.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:35 AM

Here's a pic of fold-over binding with decorative automated stitching.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:40 AM

I too use the flange and like the extra color and the look. Otherwise I have to machine stitch to the front then fold to back and hand stitch.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:57 AM

That result is the main reason I don't like doing that way. I sew to the back and then fold to the front and topstitch down. I line up my fabric so that it is just covering the first stitching line, and then a narrow topstitch ends up pretty much right in the ditch or a bit past it (on the quilt) on the back side.

I've found the main thing is I need to be extra careful to get a consistent seam allowance when sewing on the binding. After I take the quilt off the LA, I use my longest ruler and rotary cut a very straight edge for sewing on the binding. I sew it with a fat 1/4" seam, and that works for me. Then when I pull the biding forward, I've got a full binding and it just comes forward to where I need it.

if I am doing something with points I want to watch for, I'll cut the binding at 2" instead of 2.25" and then sew a smaller seam allowance. I will also sew several inches and then fold the binding around and see if it's coming out correctly, or if I need to adjust the seam allowance.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
I thought I posted the pic. Sorry.
That is hardly noticeable. I would certainly consider that a success.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:58 AM

[QUOTE=Jingle;8414186]I will stick with the way I sew them on. I sew on the back turn to front and sew it down. It works everytime. When something work I just stick with

That's how I do mine too. I have sometimes even made the backing big enough that that I just bring it around to the front and stitch it down. No separate binding.