Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bed Accessories? >

Bed Accessories?

Bed Accessories?

Old 08-30-2020, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Default Bed Accessories?

I did not get the decorating gene - but I did get the "utilitarian" gene -

So - what is the purpose of a bed runner? I can see it in motels for people to sit on or set their luggage or shoes on . Oother than adding some color - how is it useful?

Or twenty (or so) extra decorative pillows on a bed that have to be taken off the bed before one can get in to sleep on the bed.

I like to have my coverings "the same" from my head to over my feet - it is uncomfortable for me if - for example, the top quilt only comes half way up my back - or something is laying only part way across my body. (Never mind that I stick my feet out of the covers at intervals during the night. I have to have my shoulders covered.)
Old 08-30-2020, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

Everybody's different. Some like the look and don't mind the extra time to make the bed. I always say - one size does not fit all.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:19 AM

I typically make a couple extra blocks for my scrap quilts, lately I'm putting things like that on the back, but I've made a lot of coordinated dog blankets. We've still had a couple of quilts eaten by recent pets... for some reason they seem to do it more on the big bed than the water bed. Plus, unlike you I do rather like having a bit extra on my feet.

We don't know who is responsible, but just this morning he found a pair of his denim shorts out in the yard with a hole chewed in it...

I do have a lot of pillows on my waterbed but they all stay on. 2 pillows is insufficient for my pillowing needs.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

I would rather have a bed runner for a bit of extra colour then decorative pillows. I don’t need a bed runner as I have a quilt on my bed.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:24 AM

All the items you mention are indeed a personal preference. I don’t have a bed runner but I do have decorative pillows on my bed, I sleep with 6 pillows. Currently my bedroom is rather bland, I just haven’t gotten around to spending the time decorating as much as I’d like, but I do enjoy all the frippery and have no problem taking off 20 pillows and then putting them back on. I haven’t even made a quilt for my bed yet, but once I do I will decorate accordingly, I actually enjoy decorating.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:24 AM
mac

I'm with you, Bear. To me it is all unnecessary extras that I have to move to get into bed. When it is bedtime, don't get in my way, if you know what I mean.
A small quilt on the end of the bed just makes my feet claustrophobic. However, I do keep one or two extra small pillows on my bed to support my neck while sleeping. But a bunch of small pillows on the bed would drive me crazy. I think that my bed is the only place I am a minimalist. LOL
Old 08-30-2020, 10:12 AM

I have never understood the purpose of a bed runner. They are real pretty but I always like my feet out from underneath. the covers when I sleep even in the winter. I am going to keep watching this subject to see what everyone has to say.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:14 PM

I made a bed runner for my niece as she liked to sit at the foot of the bed and watch the small tv in her parents room when the main tv was in use in the living room.....and I have thought about making a runner for the foot of my bed as I often sit at the foot of it and pull on my support hose in the morning....My bedroom is small. I also had two small dogs that I used to let sleep on my bed and they hung out at the foot of the bed so I had a small quilt on that end. Now if it was storming outside...they came up to the head of the bed as close to me as they could get. Present dog, not allowed on the bed but sleeps next to it in his cushy dog bed with his own soft quilt which he carefully arranges every night.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:16 PM

DH & I have very different arrangements on the bed & we don't want them moved. He sleeps with an electric blanket and 3 stacked pillows. I sleep with pillows on each side of me + head pillow and often throw off the covers. The dog sleeps wherever she chooses, usually snuggled against my legs. I'm very aware of the weight and try not to disturb her-then she starts disturbing DH, the dog needs a trip outside, the whole bed re-arranges, probably one of us uses the restroom, gets a midnight kitchen run and finally things settle down. Don't need extras in this mix.

Also, I often take naps. Minimalist works.
As to decorating: start with paint, then window treatments, cleaning out DH's desk (which I'm not allowed to touch).... Stop right there. Too much.

Although I can see a bedtime routine becoming restful.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

I use a quilt year around or during hot weather just a the top sheet. Husband doesn't use much cover unless it gets really cold. I use a small pillow ontop of my regular flat pillow.

I don't need other pillows nor a bed runner.