Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother machine - bobbin sensor help >

Brother machine - bobbin sensor help

Brother machine - bobbin sensor help

Old 09-08-2020, 09:59 AM

Default Brother machine - bobbin sensor help

Hello all!

I have a dilemma ... I have the brother dreamweaver, have had it for almost 3 years now. Love it.

For the first 18 months it was perfect, all the bells and whistles worked wonderfully (and yes, I tested them all!)

After 18 months, the bobbin sensor quit working. I went through a whole rigmarole with the dealer, which was a nightmare, and ended up sending my machine in to Brother. They were amazing. He showed me how to take it apart to give it a thorough cleaning. He sent me videos showing me that everything works, including the bobbin sensor.

Here's my issue ... my bobbin sensor still doesn't work unless I clean my machine (thoroughly) after each bobbin use.

The sensor will only work for the first "empty" bobbin thread after I have cleaned my machine. After that, if I don't clean my machine, it doesn't let me know. And I don't know why it's doing this. This is the main reason that I sent it to Brother.

Does anyone have ideas as to why? Is it the type of thread? Is it "wear and tear"? Is it normal to have to clean the machine (and I'm talking take it apart clean, not just clean the bobbin case, etc.) after every single bobbin is used? This doesn't seem normal to me.

Thanks,
Old 09-08-2020, 12:24 PM

Was going to ask about what type of thread you are using.

It is possible for a new sensor to fail/have issues. To me it sounds like it didn't do this at first, now it is, and it still is.

This year I am doing a test with Superior So Fine as my regular bobbin piecing thread. Being a poly thread it really does have no lint, there is a noticeable difference. I can tell you that it is working very well, makes a fine strong seam that doesn't melt. The only (minor) problem I have is I bought a cone and it doesn't wind well on my vintage machine or my Sidewinder bobbin winder, but it does ok with the Bernina.

https://www.superiorthreads.com/thread/so-fine/c/60-205
Old 09-08-2020, 12:27 PM

Sorry you are having problems with your sensor. That is a feature I wish I had on my Janome 6600 but then when they don't work as they should, it is so frustrating. Hope you get it resolved soon.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:33 PM

Are you using the
bobbins from brother?

Winding your own bobbins??
are you using pre wounds??

I will reply more tonight
as I can hardly see this screen on phone.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Are you using the
bobbins from brother?

Winding your own bobbins??
are you using pre wounds??

I will reply more tonight
as I can hardly see this screen on phone.

Hi Rhonda! Yes, I am using brother's bobbins ... yes I wind my own bobbins on the machine.

I only use pre-wound bobbins when I do embroidery.

The thread I am currently using for piecing is 100% cotton from Thread Art

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2020, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

Two of my sew group have the Dream machines, (not sure if it is the same as the Dreamweaver) and both are about 4 years old and many of the sensors are acting up, get one fixed and it goes out again or another one goes wacky. They have a lot invested in the machines so have to get it fixed. One is still paying payments on hers.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post

The thread I am currently using for piecing is 100% cotton from Thread Art

Thanks!

I find Thread Art cotton thread very linty. Try a better brand of thread.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:42 PM

Marion,

First, check your machine settings to make sure the bobbin sensor function is "on".

Did your machine have a round/brown magnet in the bobbin case originally? Did it get lost with cleanings? It is easy to mis place.

It looks like your machine takes item # SA156 for bobbins. These are 7/16" in height. What brand of pre-wounds are you using? Does the same issue happen with them? in the embroidery mode? I use fil-tec bobbins. Are you using the pre-wounds with the card board core? You need the plastic ones.

Does this problem happen with pre-wounds also?

Check to make sure you have the right bobbin case in the machine. There are two that comes with the machine. One is for bobbin work.

Next, Does your machine have all the updates done? What version is the machine on now?

Is this your machine?

https://support.brother.com/g/b/manu...inovvm6200deas
Old 09-08-2020, 02:49 PM

PS: Try a few spools of different thread such as Floriani, Brother, Exquisite XP poly to see if it changes anything on the sensor.

Make sure there aren't any stray threads in the thread cutting area or bobbin area.

Good luck! I know it's frustrating!
Old 09-08-2020, 02:53 PM

Thanks Rhonda ... I'm done for the night LOL Just finished sewing all my paper piecing blocks! I'll look at that tomorrow.