Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are Jewel Tone Colors >

What are Jewel Tone Colors

What are Jewel Tone Colors

Old 09-28-2020, 10:58 AM

Default What are Jewel Tone Colors

Hi Everyone,
I am sitting here and reading the pattern directions for Bonnie Hunter's Cathedral Stars Quilt. She said to pick out all of my Jewel Tones strips for the blocks. Now, even thou I have been quilting for a few years I still have problem choosing fabric colors for making quilts. So, can any of you explain to me and give me some examples of Jewel Tone colors. Also. if you have made this quilt before please let me know? Thank you for your help.

Craft
Old 09-28-2020, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Jewel tone colors are rich, vibrant colors
here is one definition:
Jewel tones are rich colors, which resemble well-known gemstones like emeralds, amethysts, rubies, topaz and sapphires. Some examples of jewel tones include emerald green, amethyst purple, ruby red, topaz yellow, sapphire blue, tourmaline green, and turquoise blue.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:08 AM

Jewel tone are colors like sapphire blue, ruby red, and jade. Here's an image I found when I did a search for "jewel tone colors".

As you can see, jewel tones are strong clear (not muddy) colors. (I'm not quite sure about the gold fabric in this image - it may or may not work well for what you want.)
Old 09-28-2020, 11:17 AM

Here are a selection of of jewel tone batik prints:
Old 09-28-2020, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

They are beautiful colors. I never see them in person. I think you would have to buy online or maybe some LQS nay have them.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:20 PM

I love jewel tone fabrics. I have a good stash of such fabric and at least one finds its way into most of my quilts.. The vibrant colors are a big draw to me almost as the colors in batiks draw me. Batiks are muted while the jewel tones jump out at you from a color beneath the one that pops out at you. Brilliant.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:40 PM

Is anyone else old enough to remember when we were all having our "colors" done? It was based on our skin tones (how sallow, rosy, etc) and then you got a little pack of fabric swatches that showed your colors in darks and lites---mine was Winter and it suggested "jewel tones". I always wondered if the questionaire was just to figure out your favorites--these are mine and most of my quilts are jewel tones.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:45 PM

I remember that, I'm also a "Winter". I think that is why I struggle with orange & some yellows. I do like the jewel tones.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Is anyone else old enough to remember when we were all having our "colors" done? It was based on our skin tones (how sallow, rosy, etc) and then you got a little pack of fabric swatches that showed your colors in darks and lites---mine was Winter and it suggested "jewel tones". I always wondered if the questionaire was just to figure out your favorites--these are mine and most of my quilts are jewel tones.
Yes indeed, I remember having my colors done and I also am a winter. Love the jewel tones and wore them before the "test". I was frequently told to wear brown because my hair was brown. Yuck! seldom felt good or happy in brown. I never wear brown and seldom use it in quilts unless it is mixed well with other colors such as warm reds or blues. (Think Civil War prints.)

I translate the term jewel tones as clear colors. They are not muted with gray or white or tan. They pop and shine when paired with white or black. Often Amish quilts use jewel tones. I find that I often use "summer" colors in my quilts which are lighter or softer shades of jewel tones.For instance instead of emerald green I might use a spring green or in place of topaz gold I would use a buttery yellow. What a fun question! It certainly lead me down memory lane and gave me pause to consider the colors in my stash and quilting. This color preference may be why some fabrics just sit in my stash and don't get used. .Perhaps I just don't like the color. Have fun with your jewel tone BH quilt!

Last edited by WMUTeach; 09-29-2020 at 03:22 AM.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:25 AM

I am old enough to remember the "Color Me Beautiful" program, and actually had my colors "done" by one of their consultants. I did it with three other friends, and it was really striking to see the effects of different colors. With the "wrong" colors all sorts of skin flaws were much more noticeable, especially under eye circles. With the "right" color, the whole face looked so much better. I turned out to be a "summer", which has warmer colors. I didn't overhaul my wardrobe as a result of this, but it was good to understand which colors were more flattering. I still continued to wear non-summer colors, but sometimes added something like a scarf to get a good color near my face. Prior to having my colors "done", I had read articles that explained how to figure out which season I was and really struggled with it; since I was attracted to blues, I thought I was a season with cooler colors. I still love jewel tones, especially sapphire blue!