Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need ideas for Combining patterns on scrap quilt >

Need ideas for Combining patterns on scrap quilt

Need ideas for Combining patterns on scrap quilt

Old 10-06-2020, 06:12 AM

Default Need ideas for Combining patterns on scrap quilt

Hi all,
I am a newbie quilter just finishing my second quilt.

Yesterday my 96 year old mom gave me 4.5 strips of a quilt she started years ago. The strips are a herringbone pattern made of random scrap bits that are 2” x 4 “. My mom made clothing all her life and had a large supply of scraps when she started it 25 years ago. She would be ecstatic if I could finish it but I don’t have multiple bins of scraps to draw from. The strips came with enough scraps that I can finish the partially completed strip.

I thought that maybe I could put her strips in the centre and then add larger blocks of a different design all around to finish it while only needing a few fabrics. Does anyone have any suggestions for relatively large and easy blocks that might look ok when combined with multicoloured small- pieced central strips? Or maybe another way of using the strips? At this point I have one piece composed of 4 strips sewn together that is 18x 54”, and the single partial strip.

I would be machine quilting it on my mom’s 1950’s Necchi.

thanks very much for any suggestions!

Rrainea in Canada
Old 10-06-2020, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

Welcome Rrainea ... from one Canadian to another!
So happy to have you join us here on the Quilting Board.

This is an lovely project for you to complete for your Mom.
And will bring joy to both of you.

With your measurements, adding on the 5th strip, would give you 22-1/2" x 54". Simply, it could become a bed runner, requiring very little "new" fabrics. Otherwise, my first thought rather than adding blocks, would be to find a coordinating fabric that you could run strips of it between the pieced strips you already have, as well as use as a border.

There are so many possibilities as to what you could do. However, it is a difficult thing for the rest of us to imagine what you really have as to what would go with it. If you could post some photos of what you have, I know there will be countless ideas come your way. Perhaps so many, that you may become confused!!

Good Luck!

Old 10-06-2020, 07:41 AM

Thanks for the welcome! I think I have attached a photo. My mom loved to quilt but unfortunately she was a lot better at starting them than finishing them!

I also have to finish off another project of hers that consists of 20 blocks of fan-pattern TAFFETA embellished with hand embroidery. Now I have to teach myself embroidery too. That one will be a wall-hanger.
Attached Thumbnails e6d98a13-ef66-461a-9ef3-30390064f4a8.jpeg  
Old 10-06-2020, 07:46 AM

One of the wonderful things about a scrappy quilt is you can go in any direction you want. I have made a number of scrappy quilts that incorporate dozens of different block patterns and because of the scrappy nature of the quilt they all came together perfectly. I have also done given patterns using the scraps in the same pattern. This one sounds like it can be scrappy patterns as well as scrappy blocks.
I would think using the strips for a sashing between you scrappy pieces.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:59 AM

These are lovely! I like juliasb's idea to make other types of scrappy blocks -- even go asymmetrical with the layout. Or you could start making your own braided scrappy blocks and blend these strips in for an all over braided scrap quilt. I know you don't have the same fabrics, but it really will all blend together by the end.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:07 AM

I think you are already getting some great ideas but the first thing I thought of was to use your Mom's braid as a border and you can make any scrappy blocks you want to fill in the middle. This will be such a wonderful and memorable gift for your Mom and yourself. Good luck on your scrappy journey and please share a picture when you are finished.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:35 AM

Lots of folks keep it simple and just put a plain strip of fabric between the braids that you have sewn. Then put a border of the same fabric on the outside.

Some great ideas here: https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...w=1209&bih=640

I like this one a lot. By highlighting the different sizes of braids you get a bigger quilt without losing the integrity of your original fabrics. More of an homage to your mom. https://cozyquilt.com/Aspx/ProductDe...?productID=440

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 10-06-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Lots of folks keep it simple and just put a plain strip of fabric between the braids that you have sewn. Then put a border of the same fabric on the outside.

Some great ideas here: https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...w=1209&bih=640
I agree with Barb that setting your Mom’s work between sashing strips would really highlight those scraps. You could even rob the longer strips to add to the smaller pieced strips to even them out or set the smaller strip in the middle with sashing above and below.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:46 AM

Default Or a crib quilt?

Another friend suggested that I finish the incomplete strip, attach it to the four that are already sewn together, cut the whole thing in half crossways, join the two halves together and make a crib quilt for my mom’s next great grandchild!?

then I would just need to purchase a bit of border fabric and some backing (flannel?) what do you back crib quilts with?
Old 10-06-2020, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rrainea View Post
Another friend suggested that I finish the incomplete strip, attach it to the four that are already sewn together, cut the whole thing in half crossways, join the two halves together and make a crib quilt for my mom’s next great grandchild!?

then I would just need to purchase a bit of border fabric and some backing (flannel?) what do you back crib quilts with?
Too funny ... I had started to think much the same as your friend!!

I see the finished braids are already sewn together. Maybe you would like to keep it closer to what your Mom had initially intended? The unfinished braid is more than 1/2 done and you could not worry about finishing it. Join all, chop in half, and join again. You'd have a piece 40-1/2"x27". Or 45"x27" if you completed the last braid. It could be finished as a small lap quilt (or baby quilt?) as is or with extra fabric added as borders. Perhaps you have enough in the fabrics with it, to do the bindings?

Perhaps your Mom could have some enjoyment using it as a lap quilt now?
Then later you could cherish it ......... or of course, it could go to a GG.

But ............ Ooooooooooh!!! the fans!!
Totally envious of you ... and you will love it when you get it done.
Embroidery really is not that hard ... you can do it!!
(yes, I am an embroiderer!)