Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilts do you keep? >

How many quilts do you keep?

How many quilts do you keep?

Old 10-14-2020, 07:13 AM
DJ

Well, this is a loaded question. I have to assume you don't mean all the table runners, wall hangings, placemats, pillow covers etc. that are technically quilts. I have a quilt for every bed we have except the pull-out bed in the travel trailer. so that's 3 at home, 2 at our lake place, 1 in the travel trailer. I have seasonal throws ... 3 for the family room couch, and 3 for the living room couch. I guess that's 12. But there was some discussion about picnic and deck quilts. I do have one at the lake that hangs on the loft ladder that I take out to the patio or on the boat if it's chilly. So now I'm up to 13; and I have 2 WIPs that will be for the sleeping mats in the loft.

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
made me think that with all my quilts we both reach for a fleecy throw to snuggle with. I use all cotton fabric and batting and don’t quilt densely but we still prefer the other.
I actually prefer my knit afghans for snuggling. The quilts are more for decor. I think they would feel more comfy if I backed them with flannel or minky, but I haven't done that.

Last edited by DJ; 10-14-2020 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

The only finished quilts I own came from my mom and dad. Dad had one that was made in west virginia and mom had one she had bought in north carolina while on vacation. When each of them passed, I chose those from the home goods that were left.
All of my quilts have gone to family and charities. I do have a bin of about fifteen large and small quilts that need quilting and many kits and kitted fabrics ready for more tops. I don't know why, it is just what I do after my home is cleaned and the day has hours of time left.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

Someone mentioned throws. When my boys were little they loved knitted throws my Mom made them much more than quilts. My little Michael said to me "Mom, quilts are cold". LOL
They love them now as adults though but I bet they still feel knit is warmer.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:05 AM

I have 4, small, hand-tied quilts that I've kept over the 10 years that I've been quilting. They're not the best of the bunch. All of the other, better quality, quilts were given away to family, friends and charity. This year, I really wanted to make some quilts for our own home. I keep thinking that it is very selfish of me to do that, but what the heck...so what if I'm, "selfish." My kids keep hinting that they need more quilts, but it's me first this year.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:09 PM

Since I have almost no family living and am not close to my husband's family, I keep almost all my quilts. I'm still working and also do wearable art and embroidery so I only make about 1 quilt a year. Right now I have to stop piecing tops and get some of these quilted. I intended during the lockdown to get at least 2 of them done. All I got accomplished was that I pieced another top and did some other things
Old 10-14-2020, 02:23 PM

See, I've figured that all out, I don't have very many...just don't ask me how many unfinished TOPS I have around! I hardly have finished ones.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshirepat View Post
See, I've figured that all out, I don't have very many...just don't ask me how many unfinished TOPS I have around! I hardly have finished ones.
This made me laugh! Thank you, I needed that.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:35 AM

This is such an interesting thread! I think I've finished about 14 quilts, most bed sized. I've kept about two-thirds of them, but my kids are young and still at home so I'm counting their quilts in the kept total.

My SIL recently moved from 2+ hours away to 5m away. She's my sister from another mister. She admired an unfinished quilt earlier this year when we had a craft day together -- you better believe that became a house warming gift! It was wonderful for the quilt to find its owner that way.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:49 AM

It’s difficult for me to give my quilts away. I look upon as though they are my children. I hand quilt large quilts and that takes a fair amount of time. I’ve given each of my children and grandchildren at least 2 quilts. The rest, about 30, are on beds, our sofa, chairs, in a quilt cabinet, and in a chest. I have labels on them. I’ve told my children that when I die, what they don’t want, find a home for them.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:03 AM

I make most of them for me but I'll give them away if someone says they like it. I do make some specifically for friends and family, but I just like making them so...in the stack they go. LOL