Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilts do you keep? >

How many quilts do you keep?

How many quilts do you keep?

Old 03-18-2022, 05:56 PM

Eleven on the walls (we live in a padded house), plus seven for the beds. Not that we have seven beds -- it's just that when the grandkids come to stay overnight each gets to choose which quilt they want to sleep under. And the rest are baby quilts which I make for our local crisis pregnancy center. Not only is this a charity I love to give to, but a baby quilt doesn't take long and I get to try new ideas and enjoy the creative process. I have also made quilts for each of our kids and grandkids.
Old 03-20-2022, 11:17 AM

One interesting thing I noticed when my mom died and her household goods were being grabbed up by the grandkids was that the 4 or 5 quilts that I had made were all claimed by someone who really wanted them. So I am moving forward with confidence that in the end someone will take them who wants them. My son enjoys my quilts so I suspect he will claim many, my daughter quilts herself so maybe not so many. I do think they will find homes. I have been quilting since my 20’s so my completed count is probably well over a 100. I wish I had kept track!

Between our two homes I have probably kept 30 quilted pieces. Many are EPP and several baby quilts my children used that I feel sentimental about. I have 7 or 8 themed table quilts designed to fit a round table that we use daily....

For my quilts done on a machine, I try to give quilts as gifts anyplace I think they will be appreciated to keep my personal supply low. I am concentrating on holiday and seasonal quilts for our house as much as possible but occasionally make one that I like too much to give away that doesn’t really have a theme. I have been accumulating a shelf of gifting baby quilts because eventually my kids are going to need baby gifts to give in mass and I remember how much my bff and her brother enjoyed raiding their mom’s hand made baby gift box (primarily knitted) for gifts back in the day because their friends loved receiving her cute little items. When it’s given it’s gone so I just hope someone uses them. I have made a few quilts for friend’s dogs intentionally so a dog quilt that is enjoyed is OK by me.

Now my EPP is sort of sacred. I really love you if you receive anything I quilted by hand in general. At some point I will make sure those pieces are distributed to people who will care for them.
Old 03-21-2022, 05:44 AM

I currently have about 20. I make and donate at least 1 or 2 a year but some I just can't seem to part with. I've given my kids and grandkids quilts and I think they have enough so just hang on and look at what I have left. I love unfolding and looking at them but eventually have to downsize. Such a problem!!
Old 03-25-2022, 07:39 AM

I have only been quilting for about 3 years. My first quilt was a Christmas sampler that I kept as I am THE Crazy Christmas Lady. I then made a quilt for each of the beds in our home in different colors and patterns. I kept learning and improving skills. My first quilt to give away was a throw quilt for my 96 year old former 4-H advisor and she loved it. Now I am in the process of making quilts for my grandchildren to be given at their graduation. I finished one for my daughter, and will be starting one for my daughter-in-law. I also make baby quilts and other graduation quilts. For each gifted quilt I discuss colors size, and patterns with the person I am giving it to so that I am sure that it is one they will want. In addition to that I am part of a quilt club and we make charity quilts for patients in a cancer hospital and patriotic quilts for veterans at our local Nursing Home.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:57 PM

I've kept a few quilts (I'm not good at counting). I spent a few years making really nice bed quilts for my family (sibs, nieces and nephews) and my husbands siblings. My kids gave 2-3 quilts each and they haven't settled down yet, so that's enough for now, unless they comment that they really like a certain not-yet-finished quilt. Most quilts are gifted to friends, but I also donate quite a few though the quilt guild. The guild donates to a few places and needs quilts for babies through teenagers and a couple of mine recently went to Afghan refugees being settled in our town. As many have said, I like to have a couple around in case an opportunity to gift one comes around (like my neighbor who just turned 101).
Old 03-26-2022, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

I just gifted a quilt I made in 2011 to my former SIL, who is the dearest person around. I took a picture of Paul the day he came home from the hospital with that quilt on him and she raved about it. That very minute I said to myself that she's getting it.
She was shocked and happy when it turned up at her door. I was even happier
Old 03-26-2022, 09:39 AM

I would say that 95 percent of the quilts I make are donated to Outreach programs through our Guild. That is the reason I quilt.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:44 AM

I think I currently have 6 finished quilts. Two were made for family that have passed and those family members were living with me at the time they died. One quilt was made for me by my grandma when I was little. It’s now folded on a quilt rack to display because I’m not sure it would survive being washed again. The other 3 I just made for the fun of it.

I also have a cedar chest full of crochet afghans. I tend to give those to anyone who admires them and I like. Or anyone I feel could use one. I gave one to a friend to give to his girlfriend(I had not met her at the time) after she miscarried. I’m told she loved it.

My dog currently sleeps on my quilt so I wouldn’t be offended by that. I make them for the fun of making them and I often make them for specific people. I’ll ask favorite colors, bed sizes, hobbies, etc. If I found someone gave away my quilt or used it to cover up their log pile it probably would hurt my feelings but not enough to stop me from giving away other quilts as gifts. I just wouldn’t give another to that particular person. My quilts are made to be used and if my niece is dragging it through the mud outside, well they are washable.
Old 06-17-2022, 03:51 AM

I just did a quick count and I have 25 quilts. My guild does an exchange block quilt each year that are signed. Those cannot be donated but are a pleasant history of our guild members. Some of those I use because they have a seasonal theme, leaves, colors and so on. That group counts for about half of what I have kept. Then there are quilts that have stolen my heart or are examples of some significant skill development or just colors that I love.

Interesting question. It was a good stop in my day to think about why I keep some quilts and give away others.

The only quilt I have given away and regret is my avatar. Guess I should make another. Tee-Hee-Hee

Last edited by WMUTeach; 06-17-2022 at 03:54 AM.
Old 06-17-2022, 05:46 AM

Sorry or happy to say I have about 25- yikes. I have given to family, donated to fund drives, sold a couple. Otherwise don't know what I will do with them. I only make quilts if I have a definite destination for it. I am now working on a 60" x 60" which I plan to put on a wall. It is a challenge for me as it has quite a bit of applique on it and they are pretty small applique pieces. It will take me a while to finish but that is OK, I'm retired and need something like that to do when I get the urge to sew.