Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you ever buy a machine without a dealer near? >

Would you ever buy a machine without a dealer near?

Would you ever buy a machine without a dealer near?

Old 10-25-2020, 09:02 AM

I bought my Juki DX7 from Allbrands and it came with a 10 year warranty, I also bought my Juki F600 from them and it also came with 10 year extended warranty. I actually called about the warranty on my F600 when it was acting up, the company said they would send a technician to my home. The issue resolved itself and I’ve never had a issue with either machine. I did save the boxes just in case.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:58 AM

Purchase a Janome machine I have six of them. NEVER BEEN IN THE SHOP. I clean out lint and oil the wick, change the needles often. Call any dealer and ask for the repair tech for brand least seen in his shop.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

I have a Juki TL98 QE it has never been in a shop. It is straight stitch only. I would buy another if I need to. I don't know where a dealer is. I bought it on line.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

I don’t buy complicated machines so it wouldn’t matter to me. The machines I use are relatively straightforward and there is plenty of free help on line. The only machine I have had a problem
with I bought used and traded it in at a dealer for the same model but a newer version. I take care of it myself. If I had a machine worth a lot of money I might feel differently
Old 10-25-2020, 10:08 PM

The shop where I bought my machine does service (an hour drive) but we are fortunate enough to have an independent sewing machine tech in the closest bigger town to me (a twenty minute drive). I had a long conversation with him when dropping my small machine off for a basic service. When I told him I wanted to upgrade, he said something like, of the electronic or computerized machines, the Janome Memory Craft models came in the shop the least. He does not sell machines so I felt like I could take his word without there being any bias. I bought a Janome (though not a Memory Craft) based on the machines I tried and keeping that conversation in mind. The recommendation to talk to a tech directly and ask which machines they see least is excellent.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:28 AM

I'm in an area in Missouri where it seems like a couple of hours in the car and I've got a sewing machine dealer. Now that I'm homebound because of a disability and unable to drive, I would be very cautious about buying a new machine.

I'm more comfortable with the mechanical machines anyway, I know I can fix my own problems and I can clean and service my own machine, so trips to a dealer or even a service person are very few and very far between. If you're able to find a dealer close enough that a day trip would satisfy, then I say go for it, but do some heavy homework on the machine you want first and read up on reviews. Buying a machine and then finding out later that it's a problem child would be a bad situation to be in, especially now.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:18 AM

Hello Lee - I purchased my Juki machines at Fabric Hut in Hampton Roads and they are an authorized Juki dealer. Hope that's helpful! FYI - I love my Juki machines!
Old 10-26-2020, 05:51 AM

I found this Babylock Dealer that repairs Juki also

https://www.allbrandssewingcenter.com/

Phone: 804-270-1882
Address: 8079 West Broad St
Richmond, VA 23294
Hours: Sun-Mon - CLOSED
Tue - Friday 9:00am - 6:00pm
Sat - 9:00am - 4:00pm

In addition, our certified, experienced, and expert repair technician, Billy Callahan, can also service "all other brands" of home and commercial sewing machines as well.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:41 AM

I bought 2 of my Berninas from a dealer in the Chicago area which is a couple hours away. The 1st time I bought my Q20 at the Chicago quilt show and this dealer was the 1st dealer that had the Q20. And I really wanted one. The 2nd machine I bought later from the same place. There’s a local Bernina dealer, and I used to go there. But the last time after I had a machine serviced there, the bobbin thread kept acting up. So I found it hard to trust him after that.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:54 PM

My preference is to buy a machine that has a dealer in my area. I own a Janome, and I love it, and the dealer is about an hour away. I bought my Janome from CL, but specifically searched for a Janome knowing there was a local dealer. However........
there is a sewing machine repair person in the town next to mine. He is a certified repair man for several brand name sewing machines. So if your truly interested in this specific machine, and know there is no dealer near you, there still may be a certified repair person for Juki near you. It's worth asking around, and making some phone calls to figure it out.
Good luck. Hope it works out for you.