Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 04-04-2021, 05:58 PM

Ice blossom: I love you r quilt. Thanks for sharing the design process with us, as well as your quilt’s theme song.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:49 PM

A beautiful rendition, Iceblossom!
Old 04-05-2021, 03:30 AM

Iceblossom, it came out spectacular! Thank you for sharing the thoughts and your process as well. There is so much that goes into what we do, not just fabric and time, but lots of love and personal energy.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:13 AM

I brought the finished top to my Tuesday group. They've seen me working on it and heard the many complaints throughout the process but it was the first for them to see it finished. Most hadn't seen the finished reveal by Bonnie, only as I had been working on it and never had the vision of the end. "It makes more sense now!"

One of the ladies, in a much nicer way than I'm paraphrasing, said that the finished project picture was lovely -- but you couldn't really appreciate it until you saw how horrible some of the individual combinations were. Working close up, it is true that many of them ranged from "less than desirable" to "truly unfortunate" and it is a broad range of fabric from vintage to photo-realistic. I've learned that such things happen in scrap quilting.

Anyway, here's a corner close-up and you can see some of the fabrics... it was unfortunate that so much of the goofy dog fabric ended up near each other in the border, but you don't notice things like that in the big shot (it was the lower left corner). That one and several others I grabbed and shoved them in there and told them to be as gray as they could. But it shows the consistent fabric in the border blocks pretty well -- that is not metallic, just two tones of gray on black. When I was collecting (and using) black fabrics, I decided that piece "wasn't black enough" for that project, turned out to be perfect for this and the half yard I had just enough.

The other is a quarter of the top before the border was put on. It was a problem in my small house with small work spaces trying to lay out things. There is no wall or floor big enough for me to lay it out!
Attached Thumbnails 100_6047.jpg   100_6043.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 04-08-2021 at 03:14 AM. Reason: missed pictures??
Old 04-08-2021, 05:05 AM

Thanks for sharing the detailed photos. I love seeing the fabric in scrap quilts up close. I can almost always find at least one print that I have used. I love the goofy dog fabric. One more reason to smile when looking at your gorgeous quilt.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post

Anyway, here's a corner close-up and you can see some of the fabrics... it was unfortunate that so much of the goofy dog fabric ended up near each other in the border, but you don't notice things like that in the big shot (it was the lower left corner). That one and several others I grabbed and shoved them in there and told them to be as gray as they could. But it shows the consistent fabric in the border blocks pretty well -- that is not metallic, just two tones of gray on black. When I was collecting (and using) black fabrics, I decided that piece "wasn't black enough" for that project, turned out to be perfect for this and the half yard I had just enough.

The other is a quarter of the top before the border was put on. It was a problem in my small house with small work spaces trying to lay out things. There is no wall or floor big enough for me to lay it out!
Beautifully done! I love those quirky fabrics in the scrappy quilts Bonnie does, and yours is wonderful. Looking for those dogs and whatever else becomes part of the fun. My Talkin' Turkey has dog bones, telephones, seagulls, tomatoes and so much more that I would never have considered using before. Now I seek those oddities, which are often on sale, and love to use them in places like this.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:21 AM

Default Possibly a Jinny Beyer fabric

Iceblossum: I uploaded a photo of a close-up of a quilt I made that included a fabric in a pink color way made up of striped mini hexagons, which I think was designed by Jinny Beyer in the 1990s. You have the grey color way of that fabric in your border for Grassy Creek.

I must have been a big fan of Jinny Beyer designed fabric back in the day 'cuz I used a blue fabric she designed in my Grassy Creek and then saw it show up in Bonnie Hunter's Rivanna scrap quilt she just finished.
Attached Thumbnails pink-hexie-fabric.jpg  
Old 04-11-2021, 09:25 AM

I have finally finished my king sized Grassy Creek top in my ocean colors. Now to piece a back and get her on the quilting machine...
Attached Thumbnails top-complete-web-ready.jpg  
Old 04-11-2021, 10:13 AM

That is so lovely, auntjo. It certainly feels ocean-y!
Old 04-11-2021, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by auntjo View Post
I have finally finished my king sized Grassy Creek top in my ocean colors. Now to piece a back and get her on the quilting machine...
Well done, love the colors you chose! Have you chosen a quilting design yet?