Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek >

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Bonnie Hunter 2020/2021 Winter Mystery: Grassy Creek

Old 04-11-2021, 10:52 AM

Gorgeous, Auntjo! I really like your sense of color.

I ordered a back for mine but don't have any idea on when I'm likely to quilt it. Right now I'm dealing with a decking contractor and plants for a bit.

BTW, last year in September (during the forest fires) we did an isolated road trip to California and back and drove along the coast and right through Port Orford. We spent our last night out before home at a lovely BnB near Springfield that was spared -- but they had been evacuated a few days earlier.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:31 PM

auntjo, that is fabulous! One of the prettiest I've seen.

I'm just starting my first king sized quilt. It's daunting. And I'm already fearing the boredom will make it become a UFO, or at least be rotated in and out for a long time.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:41 PM

Default I’m calling mine “Swimmin’ Hole at Dinkey Creek”

... and I’m calling it Done! It finished about 80” by 80”. I made 13 blocks, but then set them on point. The border is similar to the one suggested for Grassy Creek, but is actually based on the border in Dawn’s Early Light from String Frenzy.

Thanks to comments from Joe’s Mom, I found a summery print to use as the backing. It was mostly stitch in a ditch quilted, with just a little fancy stuff (with my walking foot) in the border. Weirdest thing I did was to inset a cornerstone in the skinny borders ‘cuz it made the math easier for the final border.

This was my first Bonnie Hunter Mystery. It was a lot of fun.
Attached Thumbnails img_0069.jpg   img_0072.jpg   img_0073.jpg   img_0074.jpg  
Old 04-18-2021, 06:46 PM

I love your quilt so much, SuzSLO. It has such personality, and I think the yellow-y neutrals were a stroke of genius. And could the backing be more perfect? Congratulations on a great finish!
Old 04-19-2021, 02:48 AM

SuzSLO- Beautiful finish, your colors, settings and border choices are fantastic! I always love seeing all the creative ways others work up the quilts.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:11 AM

What a glorious finish Suzslo! And truly finished quilting and all. Love the yellow zipping through the border. On-point even and look how it brings out the star-flowers/pattern! As I was grumbling to myself one of the things I kept saying was "well at least it isn't on point like last year".

I don't know if I'll be doing the mystery this year -- probably. Last year I had it scheduled, this year I have a quilt I want to have completely finished as a Christmas gift, this year depends on where I'm at with that. While I have a stated goal of using up my 10" squares I got via swapping back around Y2K, I'm thinking maybe just using larger planned yardage instead of scraps. But still from stash, even if it isn't 10" squares I got no business buying fabric.

While Bonnie and I have different styles, that's ok. Again, I do these to do something different and most of my quilts go to other people anyway. Honestly, it is actually a good time of the year for me -- we don't really celebrate any holidays while our friends are all busily running from place to place, the weather is bad, it's a good time to stay inside and sew. I enjoy the push to do it "real time" even if I didn't manage that this year (and never could have back as a single mom, it is a lot of sewing!). And despite the grumbles, I remind myself that this is what I do for fun and I always learn stuff. Sometimes more about me than the quilting.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:45 AM

I think I may just quilt and bind as is... ie no extra borders...
Attached Thumbnails 2503a971-c1f4-4ca2-988a-d3efe66c7d86.jpeg  
Old 04-28-2021, 12:14 PM

Oooo -- look at how those blocks react to your background!

No help at all on border decisions -- but I sure do like what you did so far.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:21 PM

That was my reaction, too -- Oooooh

That is marvelous with the red sashing, and the touch of blue!

As for borders, I think this could go either way. Looks fabulous now and probably would with borders, too.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:33 PM

Wow~ those are great finishes - both Suzslo and TX325. I love how each of them stand out and have such striking color combos. The sashes are so interesting and give the quilts such unique looks. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!