Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sew Steady Free Motion Table >

Sew Steady Free Motion Table

Sew Steady Free Motion Table

Old 11-02-2020, 07:57 AM

I wish I had the room for a cabinet. I’ve seen some great used Horn, Koala etc sell for hundreds instead of thousands.

If I had the room, I’d be looking for a used Q16/20/24 or used Juki Miyabi that I saw mentioned on another thread.

I’ll need to figure out how to make things work out. I’m leaning a bit to the Sew Steady that’s on sale, but the Free Motion version is piquing my interest. Also possible to set up the Sew Easy table temporarily.

For those that have both the portable table and the Sew Easy, If you could only pick one, which would it be?
Old 11-02-2020, 08:47 AM

I have the Sew Steady and it’s wonderful for FMQ. It’s a nice smooth surface and it’s easy to install and level. I also chose the extension table instead of a cabinet where the machine drops in because of budget and space constraints. I don’t regret my purchase as I have completed several projects with much less hassle. I would tend to agree with those that suggested finding a cabinet, though. I think the ergonomics of that setup would be much better.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

I bought mine from a cottage crafter in sacramento area, that makes them to support her family. She did a great job and it was roughly half the price of the Sew Steady. She custom makes them. You could google it to see if she is still in business. I am sorry, I can't remember her business name. But, I will try and go and find her again for you.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

I found one here ...

https://www.sewvacdirect.com/sew-ste...SABEgL7jPD_BwE
Old 11-02-2020, 10:23 AM

Does anyone have this one? It’s a bit different than the regular ones and specific to FMQ.

https://www.sewsteady.com/product/ba...onger-than-13/

FMQ Sew Steady

Old 11-02-2020, 11:33 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by Mazo View Post
Does anyone have this one? It’s a bit different than the regular ones and specific to FMQ.
It is also specific to the subset of machines with 13" throat depth (that's the measurement needle to throat). Did you see the note in the item?:

"*Note: This table was designed for large machines with free arms longer than 13”. If your free arm is shorter than this, this size of table may not be ideal as the needle will be more than 10” from the front of the table."
Old 11-02-2020, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
It is also specific to the subset of machines with 13" throat depth (that's the measurement needle to throat). Did you see the note in the item?:

"*Note: This table was designed for large machines with free arms longer than 13”. If your free arm is shorter than this, this size of table may not be ideal as the needle will be more than 10” from the front of the table."

Oh shucks- The 770 is 10” to needle. 13” arm length. Did I read it wrong?

*Note: This table was designed for large machines with free arms longer than 13”. If your free arm is shorter than this, this size of table may not be ideal as the needle will be more than 10” from the front of the table.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:56 PM
mkc

Oh shucks- The 770 is 10” to needle. 13” arm length. Did I read it wrong?
I would contact the manufacturer and ask (then report back since others will benefit from knowing the answer! )
Old 11-02-2020, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
I would contact the manufacturer and ask (then report back since others will benefit from knowing the answer! )
Yes, that free motion table works with the 770. Also, the holiday specials that are running should be good till the end of December. It’s not a bad deal; $99 for table and light. I wish I could find reviews on the FMQ version.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:42 PM

I have a Bernina 770 and working on quilting a baby quilt with a ruler. The machine is fine but I only have the small table that comes with the machine. It’s not in a cabinet. I’m finding it really hard to work on the tiny table.

Has anyone used the Sew Steady FM table? It’s a bit pricey at $230 so I want to check with others before I do it. I’ve been fine with the little table up to this point.

Open to other suggestions too.

Thank you, as always.
I got this Gidget II table so I could recess my machine into the table - https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/arrow-98611.php
I had a sewing table the same height as the Gidget table which I placed at the back of the Gidget and then I bought a second hand bedside table with 3 drawers that I placed to the left side. I find there is enough room on the right of the Gidget table for my odds and ends so nothing else there.
This arrangement works great for me. It gives me plenty of room for fabric coming off the sewing machine and the drawers are great places for machine attachments, etc. I also have an old roll around hospital table(that goes up and down) and have that near the left side for extra large quilts to get the weight of the quilt from dragging on the needle.