Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
questions about bias >

questions about bias

questions about bias

Old 11-16-2020, 07:29 PM

Default questions about bias

As a self taught quilter, I have picked up a lot of bad habits. Some, I have chosen to work on correcting, some I am okay accepting as just my personal quirks. So, I am here to learn more about my bad habits with bias....

1. I understand that poor ironing techniques and using steam can stretch bias. If you are squaring up the block anyway, does it really matter? I am sure there is an efficiency aspect to doing it right, but if the plan is already there to square up the block, how much does it really matter?

2. If the piece of fabric or the pieced block itself is just a hair undersize, can you intentionally stretch out the block using the give of the bias to help make up that difference?

yes, I know there afre no quilt police and I can do whatever I want. so let me rephrase by asking what the technical advantages and disadvantages are, then I will make my decision about changing my habits or not.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2020, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

It is best to be gentle with bias edges for a better result.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:03 PM

When you square-up a block, you're likely to loose your points. So accuracy is always better than having to square-up.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:11 PM

The older I get, the more inclined I am to try to conform to sound practices because in the long run I'm less likely to be disappointed with myself. But I recognize that since the people I sew for are not quilt police, I'm just doing this for little old imperfect me. Occasionally I'll fudge the sewing rules and nobody will be likely to notice. The bottom line is that if occasionally stretching a bias seam just a tiny bit is what it takes to get the quilt together and done, I just might take that little tug. As I do it I promise myself not to give it a second thought and recite the mantra, "Finished is better than perfect." Keep in mind, too, that if you are someone who tosses a quilt in the washer and dryer the minute it's done (as I do), the natural poofy, wrinkly look will hide a multitude of sins.

A few years ago I had the joy of finishing a quilt from my SIL's family. It was just a top that she found among her late mother's things. Nobody knew who sewed it or when, but it was mostly hand stitched by a very young child or possibly someone of advanced age with shaky hands and poor eyesight. In short, it was a mess. There were pretty major mistakes all over that double bed size bit of patchwork, but it was time to either create a quilt out of it or ditch it. It was worth finishing, and the great-grandchildren of the woman who saved it now have a special quilt from the family that they can enjoy when they sleep over at their grandma's. What I'm trying to say is: Don't be afraid of imperfections. A quilt can have a lot of heart without being perfect.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:42 PM

One reason you want to avoid stretching on the bias is that stretch does go "back" eventually, often when you are quilting it, especially if done on a long arm, and it gets your quilt off kilter and can cause problems like wavy borders or puckery blocks. With HST it will bow the diagonal line sometimes too.

Have I done it? You bet! But one thing I finally figured out was I was actually shrinking my block units when pressing with steam--I'm having much better luck with using homemade Best Press (I had the aha moment about the 4th time I used starch and lots of steam to deal with a wavy border on the long arm). And I try to remember to use actual heavier starch on yardage that I know is going to get cut along the bias--it stops the stretch and also reduces the fray.

When I have a block that is "short" I will pin the side that is short when I'm squaring up and then make sure when sewing blocks together will do a "short" seam allowance on that block as long as I have at least 1/8"--will double sew it to keep it from pulling loose. That usually works without losing too much of the matching points. Although I have one quilt called "We don't need no stinkin' points!" John Wayne fans will get that reference!
Old 11-17-2020, 03:11 AM

The thing to understand with bias is that it gives you a great deal of somewhat temporary stretch. After cloth has been washed and dried (especially in a hot dryer!), it will usually want to return to its original shape. So if you take, say, a half square triangle and iron it so it is in more of a diamond shape than its original square shape, then you trim it to be a neat square, and then you sew piece it with other quilt pieces, at some point down down the line (after laundering), the cloth in that half square triangle can return its original orientation and you have a shape that is a bit diamond shaped sewn into a spot that is intended for a square shape, so the fabric may not lie quite flat. Now, if you make quilts that end up with the crinkled look (due to how the batting behaves relative to the quilt top after the first washing), it may be practically impossible to see that my example is not lying flat.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:30 AM

Here is a thought - if you don't prewash, a lot of it is not applicable, because the fabric is going to shrink differently and change shape once it's washed. I've yet to find a layer cake that ends up square after washing, it always shrinks more one way than the other, usually like 9.5 x 9.25 when it started out at 10"

I have no problem stretching a tiny amount, lie 1/16" inch, and maybe up to 1/8" on longer pieces (like over 6") More than that, I'll skimp on a seam allowance rather than stretch the fabric right to the edge.

I don't use steam when pressing, but if I've got something really wrinkled, I might mist it a bit to help with that. I also don't use starch and don't like working with fabric that has been stiffened. I participate in some exchanges, and when I get fabric that has been stiffened, I really want to wash it to loosen it up before I use it (I don't) and each time I use it, it reminds me how much I don't like working with stiffened fabric.

If you want to get good dealing with bias, then start sewing easy curves and shapes that require bias. (which means no starch as you need that stretch). Or sew up some tops or lounge pants using knits. Learn how to adjust the settings on your machine so it does feed well without pulling or twisting.

Old 11-17-2020, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

Advisory:
I "treat" all my fabrics before cutting them using "the soak in hot water for hours, then wash and dry gently" for all the reasons that people do this - shrinkage, dye issues, chemical/dirt removal.
"Permanent Press" fabrics do have a memory that will trump the usual behavior of that fabric.

If a piece of fabric is stretched on the bias - when it is washed and dried - it will usually try to revert to having the threads perpendicular to each other.

If a block/unit is just a tiny/scant bit undersized, I will compensate by adjusting the seam allowances - not by trying to stretch the smaller piece. The reason, again, is that usually fabric will revert back to the size it was before being stretched.*

I have been able to stretch fabric a lot by soaking it in starch/sizing and then ironing it while it was soaking wet by the "rolling out pie-crust method" I do not advise it - because I was aiming for a 5.5 inch size unit and I think I got it stretched to about 6 inches. That unit ended up in the "that was interesting" pile.

*"Easing" a piece is another topic.

Last edited by bearisgray; 11-17-2020 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

I'm taking an online class and we are working with bias edges. We are to sew bias edge to straight edge and always bias on the bottom. No special treatment before cutting except to press the fabric.