Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 6700P finally came home yesterday!! >

Janome 6700P finally came home yesterday!!

Janome 6700P finally came home yesterday!!

Old 11-14-2020, 10:02 AM

Default Janome 6700P finally came home yesterday!!

I put a Janome 6700P on layaway at the end of July - it's finally here and I'm so excited! I've got 12 vintage mechanical sewing machines, but this is my first computerized machine. I've been playing with it since last night and I really love it.

Janome 6700P

It's a semi-industrial and I like that there are things that are familiar, like the manual tension knob and presser foot pressure adjustment. I like the fact tht the "nose" is more streamlined than many other machines. I really like the ability to do things like change the needle drop on the 1/4" setting from a scant 1/4" to a bit more than 1/4", and then save it to "Favorites".

The lighting is fabulous; the 6 LEDs cast very even light over the entire bed of the machine - no shadows. The foot controller cracks me up...it's ginormous! It has a start/stop button, but so far, I'm not a fan. Maybe with a long straight seam I'd like it better, but right now...not so much.

SewEnchanted recommended the AccuFeed H2 foot and I went ahead and ordered that because it looks like something I'll use all the time, so thank you for that. I've been wanting to do some quilts with curved piecing and I think that will be very helpful.

I tried the knee lift, but it felt awkward so I decided to wait until I'm more familiar with the machine. I love that I can see how full the bobbin is - hopefully no more "oops - the bobbin ran out 18 inches ago."

The bottom line...I'm really, really happy that I bought this machine and I'm excited about some of the things that I'm going to be able to do with it!

Old 11-14-2020, 10:23 AM

What fun! I know right where you are at Sheryl and so glad you are happy with your selection.

About two years ago now my dear friend in Arizona gave me her modern Bernina. The last "modern" machine I had was back at the end of the 70s/beginning of the 80s when I bought one of the last cam machines before computerization. Unfortunately for me, that machine broke a major non-covered part and I never did get it fixed but I started sewing on a vintage machine that had belonged to a friend's grandmother. So that's what I've been using for the last 20+ years and I still maintain that the biggest thing we need as quilters is a strong steady straight stitch, and my vintage machine provides that very well. I had the option of ignoring the bells and whistles options I now have, or learning how to use the sewing computer it calls itself instead of the machine I've had.

Year before this particularly I was putting the machine through its paces. This year I've been less productive but still choosing some projects for machine capabilities.

These modern machines -- oh goodness, the lighting! My model also has a huge throat space. The self threader is pretty awesome, but to be fair, even a bottom of the line plastic Brother has a threading assist my sturdy vintage machine does not have... My machine has a sensor for the bobbin which I do appreciate and it stops when out (ditto), it is an extra large bobbin but that means it is not a standard size and so I can't buy prewounds for it, which is ok just something I am noting.

My friend never used the knee lift but I use it all the time. Likewise the pedal of my machine can leave the needle in an up or down position, she used the buttons for that. With my vision issues I have problems with the buttons and getting the screen options set up and so mostly use the foot, the knee, and the only button I push once I get started is the cut thread.

Cut thread! Now there's another shocker, while still covered with cat fur, I hardly have any thread on me any more And apparently my dislike of set in/partial seams was more related to dealing with the threads and such than the actual sewing.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

It is s exciting to get some new equipment - and even better that you have no "buyer's remorse"!

Enjoy it to the max!
Old 11-15-2020, 04:17 AM

Congratulations!
Don't forget to play with your decorative stitches as well.
With my 6500 I always sew in Mode 2, #13....I read somewhere that that is "quilting" stitch and it gives a nice stitch.
Have fun exploring your new machine.

Watson
Old 11-15-2020, 04:39 AM

Woohoo. Congratulations on your new 6700. I love my two Janome machines but I’ve never gotten used to the knee lift on either of them but I use the one on my Bernina all the time. Good luck and have fun exploring.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:38 AM

What is the stitch called.?
Old 11-16-2020, 07:20 AM

Congratulations and so happy for you. Just enjoy every function and decorative stitch and try and use them all. I have had a Janome 6600MC for years and love it and use the stitches all the time.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Congratulations!
Don't forget to play with your decorative stitches as well.
Have fun exploring your new machine.
Watson
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Congratulations and so happy for you. Just enjoy every function and decorative stitch and try and use them all. I have had a Janome 6600MC for years and love it and use the stitches all the time.
I set aside the quilt that I've been working on and pulled out a UFO that's been in hiding for a couple of years, but I've also been playing with all of the decorative stitches. So much fun! I already have some favorites and am looking forward to using them on projects.

So far my favorite feature has got to be the automatic thread cutter. Wow! Truthfully, I was a bit skeptical but now I understand what all the hype's been about! It's so convenient and, while I've never worried at all about wasting thread, I'm amazed at the amount of thread that it saves, though some of that is because I no longer have a bobbin thread tail that I have to hang on to.

Another thing that I really like is the 1/4" piecing foot. I've used them before but the metal guard on them was never rigid enough, so they flexed and the seam allowance ended up being the wrong size. I've thrown two of them away, but this one is great!

I'm one of those weird people that name inanimate objects and all of my machines have names. We have bonded, and I have named her Nelda. Don't ask me why; I don't know anyone by that name, but it just popped into my head and it seemed right, so Nelda it is!

Last edited by SherylM; 11-17-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:29 PM

Hooray for Nelda.

Don't forget to use your auto threader. It takes practice but gets really easy with use.
You're going to have so much fun!

Watson
Old 11-17-2020, 04:19 PM

Yeah, the auto threader's a bit tricky - I got frustrated and ended up threading the needle the old-fashioned way.