Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery >

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Old 01-01-2021, 04:06 PM

Sorry, givio, if I posted too soon. This is why I suck at mysteries. Lol. Sister’s work is wonderful!! Love her fabrics...

Beautiful, Macybaby...

I swapped out my inner border for another color. My F1 & F2 (green) was just a big blob in the 9P so I swapped the inner border from my dark blue to the green. I’ll post pic when all done...likely tomorrow since I’m losing light.

Last edited by Teen; 01-01-2021 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:16 PM

I'm doing this in Christmas fabrics. As a late starter, I'm still cutting but have all the instructions and managed to get them without seeing the final result. And, I'm resisting enlarging your finished photos. Will add my own once it's finished. I've done quite a few MM mysteries over the years and love her instructions. I find myself completing patterns I would have passed as too difficult. The center medallion aspect of this one caught me.
I do like seeing the pictures of your steps along the way. It's helpful to see what each step looks like.
Loving the different fabrics!!!
Old 01-01-2021, 04:39 PM

What a fun project and I love the variety everyone is posting...I got as far as Part 5 today due to other projects but hope to put it all together tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails 8fa37614-9f84-4cc5-b846-dfbdab7a2971.jpeg  
Old 01-01-2021, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Here is my finished floppy. Have not decided on the binding yet, but I've got enough of almost all of the fabric choices except C to choose from. I'm leaning towards the darker red shade. I swapped out the red for blue for the 2.5" border. I love that color blue and wanted to see more of it.
MacyBaby. beautiful quilt! And you finished so fast. Congratulations.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:51 PM

Teen and Macybaby, your quilts are absolutely beautiful! I just finished clue 5 but absolutely hate mine LOL I think I'm just going to ditch it, give it to my cat and make a new one. I do love the pattern.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:04 PM

I just sat down to the computer, totally forgot about Merry Mayham-- I know, WHAT?? My Printer is low on ink, I checked, apparently HP had a bad run of cartridges and none to be found in stores or Amazon. I don't know how many pages I will be able to print, so I not sure if I should even start
Just wanted to add everyone's quilts looked great!
Old 01-01-2021, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

This is the link I used to get all the downloads:

https://www.merrymayhem.com/onedaymystery.html
Old 01-01-2021, 05:59 PM

Jmoore....your units are beautiful. I love the soft colors...

I am on the last border and auditioning Fabric A’s. I’m thinking of changing my mind...hahahaha...oh well...such is the life of a quilter.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:06 PM

lol Leahquilts, I know the feeling! It's 75% of the time my feeling about mystery quilts. I can see I would have switched my Fabric A, B and C around. But I had constraints due to how much I had of each... And I don't like the contrast I got from my choice of using olive for the pale D. I thought being a completely different color that it would work, but the value wasn't right.

Teen, I think you are doing great! You don't suck at mystery quilts! I think instead of doing clues in order it's more fun to start the assembly like you did. That's always such a lot of sewing at the end otherwise.

Here's my part 5 and my sister's part 5. I helped her on her fabric selection and I think hers went much better than mine. She came over to my house with some weird choices, and I ended up giving her 3 fabrics from my stash.
Attached Thumbnails p1010176.jpg   deb-part-5.jpg  
Old 01-01-2021, 06:23 PM

Yikes, I just typed out a reply and it knocked me out before saving. Lol

​​things were going good until the last strip in Part 4. I cut the strips 18" instead of 18 1/2" so had to recut. Which meant I had to recut the squares, not just the strips . Not so bad, but once cut and went to sew and my machine started acting up. Removed the plate, cleaned out, put back together... Still doesn't work. Crap, forgot to remove and clean the bobbin housing. Remove plate, etc, etc, remove and clean out bobbin housing. Sewing okay. Oops, now it's time to feed the pups. Decided to throw in the towel and finish tomorrow.

I'm okay with that. I had a great time today. I was bound and determined to finish today but oh well. Bed a a great time and wouldn't change it for anything. I'm curious, and anxious, to see how it turns out, and am hoping for the best.

From what I've seen so far, which are some fabulous looking quilts!, I'm excited! All the different colorways are so intriguing to me. I hope mine ends up being even close to what I've seen so far.

What fun!