Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery >

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Old 01-01-2021, 10:13 PM

Sorry if I missed someone else pointing this out in another post but did anyone notice the discrepancy between the instructions & the sample quilt she posted on the facebook page? I was looking at people's finished quilts & wasn't a fan of the Fabric B in the Tipsy Triangles being right next to that long strip of Fabric B in the outer part of the inner circle square because I did graduate kindergarten & I do know my shapes lol. I was thinking about flipping the Tipsy Triangles around, looked at her sample quilt, and noticed she'd already done that! I've seen people's quilts where the TTs have been flipped & where they have not been flipped and it seems like most people who flip them don't even realize they've done it. I think it's because it kinda just looks inherently more "right" & less... muddled?... so people probably automatically did it while laying out their quilt without even noticing.

So that's an option if you get to the final product & something still isn't looking right.

Last edited by vadalia; 01-01-2021 at 10:24 PM. Reason: made a silly typo
Old 01-01-2021, 11:04 PM

I want to remind everyone that Teen sussed out that C was the focus and did tell us all. But we obstinately refused to listen, LOL.

My border fabric is quite coarse and globular, so I've decided I will not do the stars in the border cornerstones; I just don't think the points will look good with my border fabric. I'll either repeat the nine-patch in the appropriate size, or think of something else.

I'm thinking it will be A in the center square, but not sure about the stars around the center medallion. I haven't even started working with the fabrics, other than cutting.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I want to remind everyone that Teen sussed out that C was the focus and did tell us all. But we obstinately refused to listen, LOL
*gasp* That's right! I think we were all hoping it wasn't true, living in denial.

Upon further working on the quilt, I noticed the sample quilt posted on FB has the 9 patch blocks oriented differently than in the instructions. In the sample quilt, the Fabric G/white corners are closest to the center star, whereas in the instructions it's set up so the Fabric F2 radiates out from the corner of the center star. That one definitely looks better with the instruction version.

Okay, so the notes I'm going to have to make to this pattern are:
- change the center square fabric of the 5 inner stars to Fabric A
- flip the Tipsy Triangles around from what's in the instructions (as shown in the sample quilt)
- but do keep the 9 patch block oriented the way it is in the instructions (opposite of what's shown in the sample quilt)
Old 01-02-2021, 03:59 AM

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the end results. However my fabric B has a lot of neutral background, so the four inner corner stars have lost their look. Got to thinking about it, and I think if I put corner blocks of the dark blue it will work out. This also mimics the outer four stars too. I think that will "fix" the that part. I'm not real thrilled with my C fabric, but it works good enough that I'm not tempted to swap it out at this point.

Attached Thumbnails imgp5255.jpg   imgp5258.jpg   imgp5257.jpg  
Old 01-02-2021, 04:08 AM

I didn't do this project since I just can't choose fabric without a pic. However, when I saw the reveal, I like the quilt. Just may print out the instructions, or not. I have so many patterns printed, purchased, pics on Pinterest. I really don't need to create another UFO. ~~~sigh~~~
Old 01-02-2021, 05:11 AM

Cathy, your quilt is lovely...

My D fabric didn’t work as well as I imagined especially up against C but I’ll wait to see what happens as I move forward if I need to swap anything out.

And like Teen, if it doesn’t come out exactly as I would like...I can always donate it.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:49 AM

I’m so slow! It didn’t help that I listened to Paterson’s “Cross Justice” on Audible while sewing. I literally stopped once in awhile because the book got interesting. LOL
AND I had to stop to watch Ohio State play Clemson. GO BUCKS!

Like many of you all ... I worried about fabric C. My print is so big that each cut looks a little different. But I think it will work.
Attached Thumbnails d68d8162-0ff8-4961-8780-844cd191a549.jpeg   0ef85016-7004-45bd-b840-96db96555663.jpeg  
Old 01-02-2021, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Now that we see the design, do we like it? I don't particularly... Don't care for the long "torpedoes" versus small sawtooth blocks. This is why I can't bring myself to buy any of her other mysteries in her Etsy shop. There is no way to know what you are getting. Wish I hadn't cut yet, but since I have (and made all the HSTs) I'll put something together that I can donate. Without the large borders on the outside, it should make a nice lap size quilt.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:34 AM

Macybaby...that's gorgeous!

Beverly...I fussy cut the centre square of the medallion. If you have extra, maybe you could do that? I like what you have so far.

I switched the centre medallion "C" fabric squares and re-snowballed the rectangles to fix the star points in the middle. Definitely looks better than it did. I'm going to twist the nine patches around until I find the way I like them best.

I may fussy cut a more orange flower out of the fabric for the centre, as the nine patches around it are in the orange family. Not sure yet.
Watson
Attached Thumbnails img_2269.jpg  
Old 01-02-2021, 08:57 AM

Macybaby, your tipsy triangles are especially beautiful.

Watson, I like the lush intensity of your fabrics.

I paired up my step 2 triangles last night for sewing. I think I might replace my D for the rest of the quilt with a yellow, now that I see how it is used. My neutral D fabric doesn't have enough presence.