Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery >

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Old 01-10-2021, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

The quilts all look great! I have mine sandwiched for quilting but it has to wait it's turn. Today I am trying out some freehand Baptist Fan on a scrappy quilt. I like it!
Old 01-10-2021, 03:07 PM

Reba, Nice take on the center with the 3 blocks.
SBG, Baptist fan is one of my favorite overall quilting motifs, hope to see what you do with it.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
The quilts all look great! I have mine sandwiched for quilting but it has to wait it's turn. Today I am trying out some freehand Baptist Fan on a scrappy quilt. I like it!
Oh my gosh....so funny....I just delivered another quilt to LA’er and requested the baptist fan for pattern. Lol... That is a great pattern... good luck...I’m sure it will be great.

I donated this mystery quilt top today at church. The quilting gals are working on a large donation collection (I forget where it’s going) and were pleased to receive it. They loved it (yuck) so.....off it went for them to finish it up. Yah!
Old 01-10-2021, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Here's my finished top. I like all the fabrics but am just not sold on teal plus orange. So I will get this finished up and most likely won't keep it.

I am currently quilting my Round Robin quilt, also a medallion style quilt. I have started with the center block and then the next round, then the next, etc. That is the easiest way for me to get the quilting done... deciding round by round what to do. I will do the same for this mystery quilt, I think.
Wow! I love it! I think teal and orange look great together. You see it a lot in southwest style quilts. Your floral fabrics take it in a different direction, which I find very cool!
Old 01-10-2021, 07:15 PM

Givio, your sisters quilt is awesome! The dark border really sets off the medallion. I love how much interest her fabric C adds to the design.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej View Post
I finished my top. I changed the sawtooth border a bit. I have it sandwiched and started quilting on it.
The changes you made worked out very well. So pretty! I especially like how you put the outer stars in the corners of the sawtooth border.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rebaquilts View Post
Try to attach again....
Your quilt is great! Love how you did two medallions. I'll have to remember that as I am thinking of different patterns to make throws for my son-in-law and grandson, who are both very tall. That is a good idea to extend the length of a quilt on some patterns. Great job!
Old 01-10-2021, 10:08 PM
Power Poster

The Baptist Fan was fun! And it went fairly quickly. I used it on a lap quilt made by my 90+yo friend. She doesn't quilt any more, just pieces tops out of precuts. Her hands are too arthritic to do more. But she loves it and has a backlog of about 80 quilt tops for us (the quilting group) to quilt. So you can see it's not the prettiest quilt in the world, but it's cozy. I showed the front and back, hoping you could see the fan pattern.

The first pic is what we call a "jammy bag". I made two like this, for my two granddaughters to sleep in and stay warm overnight. Will mail them tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:12 PM
Power Poster

We are having a rain storm and the pictures just won't upload. Will try tomorrow!
Old 01-10-2021, 11:29 PM

New quilts to admire!

givio, your sister's turned out great. Wasn't the aqua an excellent accent color!

Queenbarbiej, wow, that is gorgeous! I think you might take the prize.

Reba, that is so striking. Well done!

Ever the tortoise in the company of hares, I am almost finished with my HSTs, doing as leader/enders for my BH mystery strings. I don't know if the thread will stay up long enough for me to finish; I can always put it in next year's thread, LOL.