Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery >

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Old 01-02-2021, 07:30 PM

*crawling on hands and knees from sewing studio* ...I’m here!!! oh my god....I think I figured it out today (took a couple,of hours of auditioning and drawing..ugh) then, I got busy . I just turned the light out...Two sides of border are done and the top/bottom border is cut and ready. I added an additional inner border, too, and a touch of applique....lol... did pieced borders cuz I really wanted to use those corner stars so that meant 6”...and, I wanted to use up as much of the leftovers...(about did my brain in with the math so I wouldn’t running n out of the specific fabric).. I’m excited to share with you....I’m hoping this escaped the ugly pile...sharing tomorrow...
Old 01-02-2021, 07:33 PM

Givio.....I think it looks cool despite the oops....well done!

jmoore...looks beautiful! Love the soothing colors. Excellent decision to bring in some Fabric A into your center. That is where I went wrong ....my A was hideous against the center... I made a note on the pattern should I decide to make a QOV with this pattern.

Last edited by Teen; 01-02-2021 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:06 PM

jmoore, Your quilt is beauiful The colors are so soothing.

Teen, I'm looking forward to your reveal.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:17 PM
Power Poster

givio and jmoore, your centers are beautiful.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by givio View Post
I made an error on my part 4 chevron, sewing my C and D in reverse positions. With C as the center, my error meant that the whole star was C, center and points together. And being a plaid, that was horrendous. So, not wanting to seam rip the chevrons, just decided to reverse the blocks and not have a star. Here's my center now. I also turned the 9patches.
Givio, I've been playing with mine, trying to figure out how to fix it and my issue with C in the center.. I played with putting A, which was okay but would require too many other changes and would be too much blue. So, I turned my chevrons around so that the whole center was C in a large diamond shape. It actually makes more sense with my nine patches which are dark and light pink. I realized all that pink in the nine patches looked out of place. My C has pink , but not enough to fit together well. I will also put a strip of pink around the diamond shape to tie it together even more. although, doing it this way leaves a funky gap where that corner of the nine patch meets the center medalion, but I am going to sew more light and dark blue on that corner of the nine patch. I hope that will work. Lol.

Yup, I should have paid more attention about fabric C being the focus fabric! My rebel side must have been whispering in my ear. Lol

Go for it Teen. Can't wait to see what you do!

Great seeing everyone's tops! So interesting to see how different they are. 😁
Old 01-03-2021, 08:37 AM

After laying it all out, I decided to take out anything that had fabric C in it and the sawtooth border. My quilt ended up 42 x 42.
I used the sawtooth border and another plain strip on the backing. The other blocks and borders will go in my orphan blocks collection.
I like how it turned out although I've had better luck in past years with this mystery.
If I had only noticed Teen's comment about fabric C being the focus fabric, I would have done things differently. I assumed that fabric A (being A) would be the focus and that's how I ended up completing it.
All in all I'm happy with how it turned out.
Watson

Attached Thumbnails mmnydtop.jpg   img_2275.jpg  
Old 01-03-2021, 09:13 AM

Watson, That's a pretty piece! It would be a nice walll hanging in a feminine bedroom. Your solution for the back was a good idea, along with your star blocks to your orphan pile. I think I should be more open to the creation of the orphan UFOs...

Teen, like you, I used some time thinking about how to make my top, knowing from the beginning that I wanted it larger. When I laid it on the twin bed, I was surprised at how big it looks already. Still, I have a bit more to sew to increase it. A block border was my first thought. I liked my fabric A the most and such a wide border is something I haven't done before so I decided to go with that. It's more the length I need, so I decided to just add more to top and bottom. .
Old 01-03-2021, 09:56 AM

I really enjoyed watching everyones progress and finishes on this a really cute top and everyone had such beautiful fabrics!
Old 01-03-2021, 01:01 PM

Watson, I like what you did with yours. Very pretty.

i changed my mind again about Fabric C in the center of the medallion. I still need to sew the last three borders on. I like it, but it is, by nature, a busy quilt. Lol. My daughter said it best; it's busy but "comforting chaos", thus, that is its name. 😄
​​​​​​
i put a pic of just the part sewn together and the next one with the rest of it laid out in one side.
Attached Thumbnails 20210103_143241-756x898.jpg   20210103_144448-756x909.jpg  

Last edited by Sharongn; 01-03-2021 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-03-2021, 01:11 PM

Beautiful quilts everyone is making! My first one came out awful so I started a new one last night. I like the idea of making one in a day, it's a nice change. Here's the new one.
Attached Thumbnails 20210103_155659.jpg