Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery >

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Old 01-03-2021, 01:15 PM

So pretty Leahquilts! I love your colors.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:54 PM

Sharon, your primary colors really pop! It may be more busy than you are used to, but a quilt that gives you a lot to look at is what some people really like.

Leah, I've always liked that designer line of fabrics and color scheme. :-) I agree with you, it's nice to get a top done in a weekend (so different than my usual UFOs), and wonderful that you are doing two! I like your fussy cut centers to the stars. I did that too.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:19 PM

Here's an update on my sister's top....
Attached Thumbnails deb-progress-assembly.jpg  
Old 01-03-2021, 04:00 PM

It's really fun seeing all the different ways this quilt is coming together. Leah, I like what you are coming up with!
Old 01-03-2021, 04:11 PM

Bad lighting, bad pic, but you get the gist. I need to recharge my battery, so I'm not re-doing this pic. But here's my progress. I preferred the 'As' on the top and Vs on the bottom' of the dark line in the Tipsy Triangles of the pattern, instead of the 'Ws on top and Ms on bottom' of turning that block strip, if you know what I mean. But for my quilt I preferred that the olive plaid was near each other, and the purple plaid was farther from the center. I like how the dark brown line in the olive plaid on the border (fussy cut) goes with the dark brown line of the Tipsy Triangle row. I felt I couldn't have chose a better pattern for using that plaid-- it seemed cute to me.
Attached Thumbnails progress.jpg  
Old 01-03-2021, 04:33 PM

Watson....what a pretty quilt!! I like how you modified it. Would look cute on a small table, too. Fabulous Fabric A!!!

Sharon...very pretty!! I like the middle square...very creative..

Leah...Looks like a perfect new start... this gives me a vintage feeling when I look at all the fabrics.. so pretty..

Givio... your sister is rockin it! Very country far my feeling when I see it.. and, your is so cool too. You braved directional fabrics and the risk is working for you. Great fussy cutting..

So, mine is done .....my center use of colors and the black fabric (Fabric B), sawtooth borders etc.. gave mine kind of an Aztec feel so that was my inspiration. I think that is why a floral border looked disgusting with it. I squeezed out as much leftovers as I could on the green F1, changed the colors on some borders, added a new border, turned edge applique... so...here it is.
Attached Thumbnails 98cc8f1a-ebc4-4225-94c1-82b764e03cb5.jpeg   623c40f3-92d4-43f6-8ca2-201a6483d77c.jpeg  
Old 01-03-2021, 04:34 PM

Wow...it’s amazing how different they all look but so many pretty outcomes. Watson, I loved your fabric from the very beginning and you did a fabulous job. Sharongn, I really like your bright colors...and Leah, you’re new fabric choice is so fun. I love the daisies.

I enjoyed the pattern and at some point I can see myself doing another one but knowing what I know now, I would definitely consider the primary prints and accent colors. This is what I ended up with...
Attached Thumbnails fc9da4c4-146c-4afc-8fe5-2ee74d6f8a94.jpeg  
Old 01-03-2021, 04:36 PM

Fantastic finish, jmoore!!, I love love love the fabric A in the middle!! Wonderful job!
Old 01-03-2021, 04:49 PM

Sharon, this is beautiful! I love all the color!
Old 01-03-2021, 04:54 PM

givio, thank you! Your sisters is looking very good! And I agree with your arrangement. Good call!

teen, your quilt is awesome! Love what you did with the borders. It really jazzed them up. Happy you like my center square. Since I thought the pink was blaring at me, instead of fighting it I embraced it and found a way to bring fabric A into the mix at the same time. Lol. I do like it much better and it was easier than my first idea. I won't argue with that. Lol

jmoore, wow! I love the look of yours. So dramatic!

I did get everything sewn up so I'm adding a pic of the completed quilt. It's funny, the border A actually did work to tie it all together better than I had expected and sorta tame's it a bit. Who would have guessed? Ha!
Attached Thumbnails 20210103_181323-732x853.jpg