Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery >

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Merry Mayhem New Year Day Mystery

Old 01-05-2021, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

I finally got a day to sew on the mystery quilt (it needs a better name...). I got as far as the sawtooth border when I decided I needed a break. I decided not to change a thing, but just sew it like it was prescribed. Don't feel like having to figure anything out today! So once my HSTs are together for the saw tooth borders, I can go ahead and put it together. I'm liking how the fabrics work together.
Here's a pic of progress, but the lighting was very dim.
Attached Thumbnails img_0771.jpg  
Old 01-05-2021, 05:45 PM

sewbizgirl, that is going to be gorgeous!
Old 01-05-2021, 06:15 PM

Sewbizgirl, I've been waiting to see your quilt and it doesn't disappoint! I agree with Leahquilts... It will be gorgeous!
Old 01-05-2021, 09:05 PM

I third that! SBG, wow! Your prints are great, I love the colors, I think it's going to look great at the assembly stage, just you wait! :-)
Old 01-06-2021, 03:42 AM

Wow SBG, loving your fabric selection...can’t wait to see your finish. I know it’s going to be fabulous with those beautiful prints.

Has anyone thought about how to quilt this project yet? I loaded it on my LA last night but I’m at a stand still...trying to decide if I want do do ruler work or just an all over design. I need to get it in the mail to a girlfriend in California for her birthday January 21st.
Attached Thumbnails 0ff8dccc-28de-4bc7-8ff0-31c324ca37c6.jpeg  
Old 01-06-2021, 04:54 PM

Hi Jmoore. I am still learning FMQ so I'm no help but I am interested in what everyone says about this. I don't know exactly how I will do it with the walking foot, but was hoping to add something cool. 😊
Old 01-06-2021, 05:01 PM

Givio, thank you for hosting this group. It was my first mystery quilt of any kind and I'm so glad I jumped in. I had a lot of fun and learned SO much! I'm a newbie to quilting and all stages of this process helped me so much in my journey. way

Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments along the way(even if I didn't listen sometimes. !o!). I'm very grateful for this group and had as much fun, if not more, watching everyone else's projects, as mine.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:21 PM

That sure is pretty, jmoore. If time weren't an issue, I would say, save the all-over quilting for the border, and quilt to enhance the piecing in the medallion. But if getting it done means an all-over design, that would be fine, too.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:51 AM

Default Flying geese & etc.

Here is an updated photo of progress. I decided to combine the two QOV into one, and incorporate the embroidered eagle. I also don’t like to waste triangles so I marked the flying geese excess and the ends of the strips-excess, and made more HSTs. I laid them out around the eagle and decided to use the larger HSTs from the flying geese excess, added it to the two medallions, and now I’ll follow the instructions to add the borders. I think the progress looks good so far. Hugs all!
Attached Thumbnails 1bdf576c-09b6-4203-86a9-06cdb740cf8a.jpeg  
Old 01-07-2021, 09:07 AM

Rebaquilts, that looks great!