Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for Quilting Machine with More Throat Area >

Looking for Quilting Machine with More Throat Area

Looking for Quilting Machine with More Throat Area

Old 12-22-2020, 05:48 PM

My Baby Lock Jazz 2 arrived today. All I've done is unboxed everything. It will take me a few days before I get it set up, and read the manual. After that, I need to learn how to thread the machine. And then I need to learn how to get the tension correct. I'll be setting the tension so that it is happy with the three quilt layers. Not sure if the tension setting would be the same for both two pieces of fabric, and a quilt sandwich. I get the feeling it is different.. I'll have to take notes once I discover the correct settings.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:50 PM

Mindless, As for the PVC pipe, don't use the 3/4 inch size. It is just too thin, and any weight will make it sag eventually. I use 1.25 inch pipe. The walls seem to be thicker, and the bigger size shouldn't bend under the weight of the quilt.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:02 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by CaleyH View Post
Mindless, As for the PVC pipe, don't use the 3/4 inch size. It is just too thin, and any weight will make it sag eventually. I use 1.25 inch pipe. The walls seem to be thicker, and the bigger size shouldn't bend under the weight of the quilt.
It's not the pipe diameter, per se, that dictates the wall thickness. It's in part the "schedule". 80 has a thicker wall than 40.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:08 PM

The pipe I have is 40. I guess the increased diameter must give it more strength With 3/4 inch pipe, I can push on it with one finger, and bend it. The 1.25 barely moves.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CaleyH View Post
My Baby Lock Jazz 2 arrived today. All I've done is unboxed everything. It will take me a few days before I get it set up, and read the manual. After that, I need to learn how to thread the machine. And then I need to learn how to get the tension correct. I'll be setting the tension so that it is happy with the three quilt layers. Not sure if the tension setting would be the same for both two pieces of fabric, and a quilt sandwich. I get the feeling it is different.. I'll have to take notes once I discover the correct settings.
I think the biggest factor regarding tension will be weight of the bobbin thread; a thinner thread may be different than using the same thread as the upper thread. Have fun with your new machine!
Old 12-28-2020, 07:00 PM

I am also looking for a sewing machine that quilts. I have been hand quilting for 30 years, but now I want to finish them faster as great grandbabies are coming. I was hoping to get one with quilting patterns built in. I also need the throat to be big as I make baby quilts to king size. I may be completely off base, but hoping not to spend more than $500.00 I don't want the huge quilting machine. Can anyone help me or guide me with this.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:27 AM

Caley, how are you liking your new toy? Have you had time to play with it?
Old 01-02-2021, 02:08 PM

Mindless, No, haven't had much time to do anything with the new toy. But I have discovered that it is heavier than the Singer, and as a consequence, the table I purchased last year isn't sturdy enough for the additional weight.

Guess i will be building something that doesn't rock back and forth like a rocking ship. Will use the table I purchased for garage sales, when I have things to sell. So right now I am watching videos on how to build tables and cabinets, and trying to get ideas of just how to design something that will work for me. I've pretty much all the basic woodworking power equipment. Just need a plan and time, and more cash to do it.

So, right now I am just slicing and dicing on fabric for my next quilt top. The Singer can handle sewing a quilt top together without any problem. I downloaded from "Connecting Threads, the Nancy Rinks design she named "Tucson" . Will post a picture of that whenever I finish the quilt top.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:08 PM

I finally got to play with the Jazz 2 a little today. It is truly a learning experience, especially the threading of the machine part. The diagram they show is so small that I missed two points and how the thread spool is inserted. I first did it like my Singer. Found out this machine requires the thread to come over the top, instead from under the spool.

I didn't understand one of the diagrams of the upper part of the machine. I discovered I needed to put the thread under a small metal plate that compresses the thread down. And the other thread point of contact was just above the needle. I just didn't see that little part.

The results of my missing things was that the thread stitch started out just fine for about an inch, then progressed to bunching up terribly. I tried adjusting the tension and that didn't do a thing. That told me I was not threading the machine properly, and I discovered my errors after getting out a magnifying glass to view the diagram a bit more closely.

I sewed through one of my quilt blocks that I had already practised on. The thread seems to be doing fine on both top and bottom, but I probably won't know until I do a lot more sewing. Once I see an anomaly, then I can make small adjustments in the tension.

I like the knee presser foot lifter. I do miss the automatic thread cutter, as having to move the fabric out enough to snip things wastes a lot of thread. I'm happy they put an up/down needle button on the machine. And also happy they put a button that tells the machine to finish a stitch in the down position.

I probably will need a few days to get used to the machine. Unfortunately the table I have that my Singer machine likes, isn't sturdy enough for the Jazz 2. Don't know why. Guess the extra 10 pounds might be the difference. So I will have to build a setup that will allow me to have the needle pointing towards me, so I have the quilt projecting out both sides. I still plan on having the quilt sandwich rolled twice to make handling things easier. It worked well for my Singer, and I believe it will be even easier with the extra space the Jazz 2 provides.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:07 PM

New report on my BL Jazz 2. Lately I haven't done any free motion quilting on the machine.

I got another project to do for the organisation I do volunteer work for, "Sky's the Limit" Observatory and Nature Center. They have what is called an Orrery, which is a model of what the our solar system looks like. Ours is supposedly the most accurate in the world, and is scaled at 1 to 20 billion in size. Two of the planets, Jupiter and Saturn have poles with flags to identify them, as they are a few hundred feet away from the center (Sun).

Those flags were just about to shred completely off the poles, so I am making four each, replacement flags for each planet out of heavy canvas.

I watched a video of the BL Jazz2 sewing 8 layers of heavy denim, and thought I could make these flags. As this canvas is heavier than the heavy denim, five layers is just about all it really can handle, but it dews through three layers of canvas just fine.

I had to go online to learn about the correct needle and thread to use for this project, so I am still learning something each day about sewing. I'm using 30 weight three strand nylon coated thread, with Schmetz 110/18 Universal needles. What I read is that this needle and thread are just about the limits of home sewing machines.

Based on what I am experiencing, when I do go do full scale learning of free motion quilting, this machine is going to do it very easily. My Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 can do the job, but it is close to its capacity when it hits a fat seam bump. But I am slowly getting used to how to press seams so that those fat seam bumps aren't as fat as when I first started my journey into quilting.

I've come to the conclusion that my favourite part of this hobby is piecing together the top. If I had the money, I would probably just ship the quilt top to a professional to get properly quilted. If I ever run into millions, then maybe I can purchase one of those wonderful computerized, automatic quilting setups. It's just fascinating to watch them do all the intricate patterns. I imagine that setup is quite involved in order to get everything perfect. Someday, if this COVID thing ever does pass, I would love to go to a quilting show, where they demonstrate such a setup. I'd probably pull up a chair, and break out the popcorn to sit and watch. LOL!!!!