Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Towa Gauge...Worth it? >

Towa Gauge...Worth it?

Towa Gauge...Worth it?

Old 12-01-2020, 07:13 AM

Default Towa Gauge...Worth it?

I don't have much trouble with my tension on my mid arm, but some ladies were talking about this and I wondered if it was really worthwhile?
It is about $80.00 here.
Any comments and tips on how to use it, appreciated.

Watson
Old 12-01-2020, 10:35 AM

well I would say if you don't have many issues I would not purchase it.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:30 PM

For me it was a game changer. I just could not get the "hang" of the bobbin drop method (pun intended).

I kept getting uneven tension, and wasn't real happy no matter what I tried, and after getting the gauge I discovered some of my bobbins (they came with my machine) didn't spin as freely in the case as they should, and the tension would fluctuate, while others were fine.

Now I test every time I change thread, and found I can set it around 180-200 and then adjust my top thread and I'm having so much less tension problems. I also bought a digital readout for my top tension, as I always get messed up with the "lefty loosie/righty tighty" thing. So now when I turn the top tension, I can see if I went looser or tighter, and by how much instead of guessing.

I'll add that I never had a problem with adjusting tension with my Bailey, but that is a domestic machine and worked the same as everything else I had. The HandiQuilter is like other industrials, you have way more room for adjusting, so you may give the knob a 1/2 and it doesn't make that big of a change.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

If you were having tension issues I would say to definitely get it. If not, you probably don't need it and wouldn't use it very often. That's my case. It sits there and very seldom gets used.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:20 PM

I had some tension problems and someone recommended I buy the TOWA. It seemed very expensive so I started watching for new ones on eBay and Amazon. I snagged one for $35 on Amazon and it solved my problems in an afternoon. I don’t use it often now, but it was worth every penny when I needed it.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:35 AM

I have one that I rarely use, and I’ve had it for quite a long time. Once I watched Jamie Wallen’s tension video, I use his method instead. Works perfectly. https://youtu.be/Q1mRhcquZTM
Old 12-02-2020, 03:58 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
For me it was a game changer. I just could not get the "hang" of the bobbin drop method (pun intended).

I kept getting uneven tension, and wasn't real happy no matter what I tried,
That was my experience as well with my new longarm. I had ordered a Towa gauge with it, but there was a delay since the dealer didn't realize she didn't have one in stock. She taught me the lift/drop test, but I still had to do test stitching and make top tension changes with each bobbin. Once I received the Towa, I started testing every bobbin and do need to adjust the case slightly for each to get the same pull result. Since then, I haven't had to adjust top tension (as long as I stay with the same thread) and my stitches look more consistent, bobbin to bobbin.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:38 PM

I use it with every bobbin--I wind bobbin's on both the machine on-board winder and a stand-alone and find that depending on type of thread, bobbin used (Towa or Gammill) and just me, they can differ a tad. I almost never touch the tension on the top thread because of the Towa gauge. Mine is manual gauge and have heard that the digital one is not as easy to use.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:14 PM

Default A perfect tutorial!

Originally Posted by cindi View Post
I have one that I rarely use, and I’ve had it for quite a long time. Once I watched Jamie Wallen’s tension video, I use his method instead. Works perfectly. https://youtu.be/Q1mRhcquZTM
How perfectly clear! I have pretty much arrived at this on my own, but it's totally reassuring to have it explained as to why, especially since I'm seriously considering moving to a full-size long arm from my mid-arm (Babylock Coronet).

I never cease my amazement with the wonderful stuff I learn here on this forum. Thanks ever so much!