Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dog walked on my unfinished quilt..help!! >

Dog walked on my unfinished quilt..help!!

Dog walked on my unfinished quilt..help!!

Old 12-01-2020, 11:45 AM

Exclamation Dog walked on my unfinished quilt..help!!

Hello guys!
So I was in my craft room floor pinning my quilt top to the backing and my husband let the dogs back into the house. One of the dogs came running in and walked right down the middle with muddy paws (i cried alot)! Is there any way i can clean the top quilt before finishing it, because some of the spots i need to sew has mud and didnt want it stuck.. please help! Im new to the quilting world and I'm getting discouraged! Thanks in advance!

Sara
Old 12-01-2020, 12:14 PM

Hey Sara, these things happen. And typically when we are on a deadline or when things just aren't going so well and everything was perfect and dainty until great huge doggy footprints messed everything up....

Many people call a top a "flimsy" because that is what it is, very flimsy and fragile. Unless there are actual bodily fluids like pee or barf (I'm looking at you, cat), I would gently blot as much up as you can while damp and then let it dry and brush off as much as possible.

Once you get the top quilted together and well stabilized, that is the time to wash even if you don't usually wash your quilts.

If you decide you absolutely positively have to wash things before quilting down, put small amounts in lingerie bags or pillow cases. Take out while damp and do what you can to straighten them out, maybe air fluff for a bit. Then I would take them damp and layout a towel on my ironing board and press them (being careful not to stretch) flat and dry.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

Oh dear! You want to avoid washing the top in your washing machine as it will cause the pieces to fray and may create holes. Get a dust pan and scrape off as much dry mud off into the dustpan. If it doesn’t look too bad, quilt it, bind it and wash the quilt after spot treating the mud stains.

if it is still really bad after cleaning off the dry mud, try gentle wash in the bath tub. Let the water drain out and wait until most of the water has drained out, press extra water out and gently lift it into a laundry basket. If possible hang over a line to dry.

If your fabrics were not washed before making the top....do not get wet ....it may cause fabrics to bleed. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2020, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

I think i would let it dry - then vacuum as much as possible of the dirt off, and then proceed as usual. Wash quilt after it is completed
I have hand washed a top after one of the cats peed on it. What a mess of loose, tangled threads that caused.!

I Would do what I could to avoid washing a top/ flimsy before it has been quilted

Last edited by patricej; 12-17-2020 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

Finish it as is. Then wash it. No big deal.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:05 PM

Thank you everyone for the responses i am
self teaching how to quilt so i was
at a loss for a moment. I am making them
as Christmas presents so I have a little bit of time
Old 12-01-2020, 03:11 PM

Try a damp wash cloth with some diluted dawn dish soap. Rub carefully and lightly.

Best wishes!
Old 12-02-2020, 03:25 AM

Welcome from NJ. I, too, would just let the muddy paw prints dry and brush everything off. Quilt as planned and then wash as normal. I've had many a muddy paw print on quilts in progress with no lasting nasties. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If your fabrics were not washed before making the top....do not get wet ....it may cause fabrics to bleed. Good luck!
Now some of you are going down the wrong path with the washing talk. Yes the top can be washed and even In Hot Water. I do this for All my clothes as well As Everything Else in Hot Water.

Please don't freak. It really is Safe to do. All you need is Shout Color Catchers. Nothing fades that the sheets do not catch. I've even gone back to a detergent with color in the pods And the color catchers collect all of the color from the soap pods.
I get my color catchers from the big W** ****. They are in the detergent isle. Try it you Will like it.

If it is just the top and you decide to wash that, I do suggest stay stitching all 4 sides before washing it as that will stop the fray of the raw edge pieces. I do this at about 1-8th inch so it is inside the bind off, However you wash it go with the color catchers, they're made by shout. One more thing. I reuse the sheets until they are almost black. Since I'm on disability I have to find ways to save on everything. I'm Not complaining just being a penny pincher in everything.

Last edited by Motley; 12-03-2020 at 10:50 AM.