Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Bernina ruler foot >

Help with Bernina ruler foot

Help with Bernina ruler foot

Old 12-05-2020, 01:27 PM

Default Help with Bernina ruler foot

I recently bought the Bernina #72 ruler foot which the Bernina catalogue says is compatible with my 770 QE, but as far as I can tell it does not fit. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? It seems improbable that both the catalogue is wrong and that they released a ruler foot that didn't fit the 700s, but I cannot figure out how this foot is compatible.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:46 PM
mkc

Is it specifically the adjustable ruler foot and did you buy it from a Bernina dealer? From the Bernina site it looks like it has a gold-colored knurled piece/disc to adjust the height.

In a Google search, in addition to that foot also I'm getting pics from eBay listings of a foot called a #72, but it isn't adjustable and doesn't have that gold piece. Might you have purchased the wrong #72 or possibly a knock-off?
Old 12-05-2020, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

It sounds like you have a genuine Bernina foot if it's #72. I have the same machine and foot and it works fine. The only thing I can think of is to look on Youtube for a tutorial on using it.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada,👋 The foot goes on the cone and you put the little lever down to hold it in place. The little gold wheel lets you lower the foot to just above the quilt sandwich. If the foot is too far off the sandwich, you will get skipped stitches.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:25 PM

Bernina hasn't made a ruler foot for the "old style" Berninas yet. So it can't be an old style vs. new style thing. It's got to fit. Maybe the lever is down and in the way?
Old 12-05-2020, 08:25 PM

Quiltedsunshine - You may be actually on to something, as I am pretty sure they did release the ruler foot in a “legacy” style recently for the older machines. So maybe they gave her the wrong one. Please excuse me if I have this wrong.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:30 PM

I bought it in person from a Bernina dealer so it's not a counterfeit, but now that I compare my foot to the pictures on the website it's clearly different. The ring for the needle is directly in line with the cone hole rather than coming off the side under the screw, and the top is not the right shape which is why I couldn't get it on my machine. A little metal part that normally slots into the back of the feet was getting in the way because this foot does not have a slot. I was able to get it hooked onto my machine by unscrewing and removing that part, but clearly it's not the right size. If I tried to use it the needle would crash into the front of the foot. According to the Bernina catalogue there is only one version of 72, but this is not the foot in the catalogue.
Attached Thumbnails img_2647%5B667%5D.jpg   72.jpg  
Old 12-05-2020, 08:43 PM
Power Poster

The needle should be going right through the middle of the circle. Can you bring your machine and the foot back to where you purchased it?
Old 12-05-2020, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon5012 View Post
Quiltedsunshine - You may be actually on to something, as I am pretty sure they did release the ruler foot in a “legacy” style recently for the older machines. So maybe they gave her the wrong one. Please excuse me if I have this wrong.
you’re right. Googling “legacy bernina ruler foot” brings up an announcement on Bernina’s website for a new old style foot that I wasn’t finding with other search terms. Thanks; I was going a little crazy trying to figure this out.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:05 AM

That horseshoe shaped prong as the connector at the top shown in your 1st photo is for the legacy models like the 1008, so you definitely have the legacy model. So sorry for this confusion.