Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to chose layout design >

How to chose layout design

How to chose layout design

Old 12-21-2020, 08:00 PM

Default How to chose layout design

I've been working on a Christmas quilt on and off for over a year now. This is also my first quilt that isn't a lap quilt, or all simple squares.

The block size is 12 inches completed. I currently have 55 blocks done. Is this enough for a queen size quilt with borders. I would prefer not to sash the blocks, but can if I have to. I may be able to squeeze enough material out of the scraps to make a few more blocks if I have to. (I am also okay with not using every block to make the math work out)

Also, now that I have the blocks complete, I don't know the best way to arrange them. I have attached a picture of a sample of a few blocks (sorry about the poor quality)
Attached Thumbnails webcam-toy-photo2.jpg   webcam-toy-photo1.jpg  
Old 12-21-2020, 08:14 PM

size will depend upon how big you want the quilt to actually be--and I'm not sure if you mean that the unfinished block(not in the quilt yet) is 12", but you'll lose 1/2" of seam allowance for any block. So if your block once in the quilt is finishing at 11.5" then 7 across would be 80" wide. If you did 8 down then it would be 90.5" in lenght. 80" across would be a little narrow, but the 90" lenght would work if you were not tucking into pillows. So if 7 across and 8 down it would be 56 blocks.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:35 PM

Cool blocks...You don’t need sashing for this block since the design in really on-point already, in my opinion. The white background should be enough contrast.. You could add a border, if needed, to make it bigger. Queens sized quilts are typically around 90w x 97L, depending which chart you are looking at. Your quilt, right now without borders, is 84x96 if you followed the above recommended layout. Just one more block would be needed as she mentioned. Add a 5 inch border and that takes the finished quilt size to 94x106. Lovely work!

Last edited by Teen; 12-21-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:37 AM

You might want to measure the bed before stitching the blocks together. I only say that because there are two different sizes of queen beds, one that is a little longer and then shorter on the sides and another that is a true square, where all the sides are roughly the same measurement. Once you do that, then you can determine if you need to make the quilt longer to accommodate the length, or square it up to accommodate the square. I would suggest a 5 or even 6 inch border once you figured out the shape of the quilt, you should have it big enough for some drape on the sides.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:34 AM

I always lay one row of sew blocks across the bed and then lengthwise to see if I have enough made. Better to be sure before you think you're done.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:54 AM

Length will depend on how you want to use this quilt. Will it cover the pillows or come short of the top with the sheet folded over? Too, will you be using a bed skirt or want it to cover the edge of the frame of the bed?
Old 12-22-2020, 05:57 AM

If the finished block size of 12” then a 7 X 8 layout will give you an 84 X 96. So you just need to make one more block. You can always finish it off with a border if you want it a bit bigger. For the layout, find a place you can lay the blocks and take a picture on your phone. Then look at the picture to see if you want to make any changes. You get a better view of it this way.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:09 AM

When I'm making a scrappy type of quilt or one with various types of blocks, I'll arrange them on my design wall and leave them there so everytime I walk by I can stop, look at the arrangement and make some changes if I deem feesible. Then leave the new arrangement there, walk by from time to time making changes as I see fit. Finally when I know I've walked by a number of times and haven't made any changes, then I know I've got it the way I like. Also taking a photo of it and viewing it on your PC seems to help me to see problems especially if I stitched the block wrong so I can fix it then and not after its all been put together. There's nothing worse than finding a mistake after its all put together or you have it on the quilt frame stitching away. Sometimes I'll ask my sister's view on it as I know she has a good eye for color.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:30 AM

This looks like it will be a fun quilt to put together. I seen no need for sashing since the white will make all your blocks stand out alone and just pop! lay your quilt out on the floor or on a design wall to get a better idea of the size. Since it is not sewn together up will need to subtract 1" for every 2 blocks laid up next to one another to get an idea (not accurate) of the size of the quilt. Add or subtract blocks to get what you want.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:28 AM

All great pieces of advice you have received from Everyone. I love that you tackled such a great project & it's turning out very pretty. I can't add any more tips but sure would like to see more of your quilt as you progress with it. It's going to be one you will be proud of but remember we are our own worst critics-don't be too hard on yourself.