Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Sewing Room Upgrade >

Sewing Room Upgrade

Sewing Room Upgrade

Old 12-27-2020, 10:11 AM

Default Sewing Room Upgrade

For the last couple of years I have carved a little sewing space out of my family's tiny storage room. A few weeks ago I got an upgrade...our spare bedroom furniture was donated to someone who would actually use it, and now I have an entire bedroom to use as my sewing space! I am beyond thrilled for this....it is mentally exhausting to try to be creative when your sewing machine is sitting right next to the weedeater, rakes, and shovels (we still don't have a shed, but that's another story).

This is a nice space, and I am going to use my tax refund to spruce it up and make it workable for me. The room isn't large, but there is a south facing window for excellent light, and a tv with satellite and internet connections. The carpet is in bad shape, but I already have a pile of laminate flooring salvaged from a friend's house to put in there. The only other physical updates the room needs is a ceiling fan and a can of paint. I will probably put some uv reflective film on the window so I can leave fabric out without worrying so much about fading and to help keep out the summer heat, the ac isn't the greatest in there.

I would like to turn this room into a complete sewing studio: sewing station, cutting station, pressing station, design wall. All my fabric and books in there as well, and hopefully a window seat for hand sewing where I can see the garden. All that is left in the room is a small bookshelf with the tv on it, and a dresser with a mirror. I am figuring my books and patterns can go on the bookshelf, and I can use the drawers of the dresser to store thread, notions, and rulers. I have two sewing machines to put in there, one treadle and one that just sits on a hollow core plastic table, a desk chair, and a big bulky cabinet in another room that I think could work as a pressing table. The closet is long and narrow, and while off season clothing is stored in half of it, I can have the other half for my fabric.

I am cheerfully mapping out the room on graph paper and trying to decide on the best layout for everything. I want to keep things functional, as clutter free as possible, and somewhat portable. We are planning on moving within a few years, so I don't want to dump a lot of money into things I can't pack up and take with me. My whole budget for this project is roughly $1200, and I'm not afraid of doing the work myself.

I am leaning towards some flatpack furniture from somewhere like ikea, all on a level with the top of the treadle, in a horseshoe shape, with the design wall on the biggest wall of the room opposite the countertops.

I don't really have any questions right now, I just got access to the room this week. I just wanted to start a thread and share my good luck, and see if I get any good suggestions.

Thanks for reading!
Old 12-27-2020, 10:26 AM

My suggestion, have fun planning your room. Using graph paper is a very good idea. Just remember its your room, and you can do it your way.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:35 AM

I'm sewing in a reclaimed bedroom 10x10. One window, tv, computer. Sewing table takes up most of the room but that's ok. Just love my room and if DH needs me he knows where I am. Have fun planning Only thing I wish I would have done right away was paint it.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:42 AM

You could use a door across two file cabinets (lots of good storage), sewing machine near one end, pressing/cutting station on the other. One of the best things in my sewing room is deep shelves floor to ceiling. I ruler fold most of my fabric and looking at those stacks is like looking at a piece of art.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:06 PM

How fun!
Don't forget about good lighting....maybe something you can take with you.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:30 PM

Lots of great ideas how to organize your sewing room on line, You tube, and Pintrest. Most of them talk about the sewing triangle like the kitchen triangle...sewing, pressing, storage. Just have fun planning.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:15 PM

After doing some thinking and shopping my house a little, I actually have everything I need. It might not be match or be pretty, but it's functional. I spent a couple of hours rearranging the furniture in there to experiment with how functional my preferred arrangement is. I'll still have to come up with some storage solutions and I want to paint and swap out the flooring regardless, but this is not going to be a costly renovation.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:43 PM

Congratulations on your new sewing room. I know how thrilled I was when I got mine. Not thrilled that my daughter moved out, but happy to get a designated sewing room. My thrill was being able to leave my my ironing board up all the time. Don't worry about getting it set up right the first time. I have had my room for 13 years and still rearrange from time to time. Enjoy!!!
Old 12-28-2020, 01:58 AM

Remember Origami, nothing is nailed down so you'll be able to move things around until you're happy. Isn't funny how we find things that can be used for something else? I took my son's, who moved out, little computer desk and use it as a credenza next to my sewing machine. Now I have room for lots of doodads within an arms reach. ( Read coffee mug, lap top, small TV, sewing notions)
Old 12-28-2020, 03:57 AM

How exciting to finally have a space of all your own ... I’m sure you will come up w some clever ideas and like you said, it doesn’t have to be matchy matchy, as long as it’s functional...congratulations and good luck. We’d love to see some photos.