Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Electric Quilt 8 >

Electric Quilt 8

Electric Quilt 8

Old 12-29-2020, 05:23 PM
mkc

I use it to play with colors in a layout before I buy/cut fabrics. First I create the quilt in EQ, then color the pieces approximately the way I think I want them to see how it works out.

I did this for a quilt for my brother where I was playing with different interesting border ideas and I think he enjoyed getting to "design" how his quilt would be done.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
i did upgrade to EQ8.
the interface is quite a bit different to 7 and below.

it isn't that i don't like it.
it's fine.
but i think you'll be happy enough if you stick with 7.
I agree. I was *very* comfortable and familiar with 7, upgraded to 8, still use them both but I think I prefer 8. It's just slightly easier to use, but not enough so that I'd recommend you upgrade. If you have 7 you're not missing anything.

Originally Posted by Sharongn View Post
For those who have EQ, do you mostly use it to design quilts or what?
I use it to design quilts, figure out fabric requirements, test out different color options. I like to see if I can reverse-engineer blocks and quilts I see; I believe deconstructing blocks makes me a better piecer. I also do it for entertainment. I'll sit with my husband in the evenings watching tv and designing quilts.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
I use it to play with colors in a layout before I buy/cut fabrics. First I create the quilt in EQ, then color the pieces approximately the way I think I want them to see how it works out.

I did this for a quilt for my brother where I was playing with different interesting border ideas and I think he enjoyed getting to "design" how his quilt would be done.
This is one reason I think I would use it... Color/fabric choices. I also like that I'd be able to change things and get an idea ahead to time now it would work out.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2020, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I use it to design quilts, figure out fabric requirements, test out different color options. I like to see if I can reverse-engineer blocks and quilts I see; I believe deconstructing blocks makes me a better piecer. I also do it for entertainment. I'll sit with my husband in the evenings watching tv and designing quilts.
Thanks for your input Peggy. This is what I image, and hope, I would use it for. Not just practical reasons but for entertainment too.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:38 PM

I upgrade when 8 first came out, so cheaper then. I like it Much better than 7, could never find anything on 7 but 8's set up so it makes sense to me. I use it to design quilts, play with layouts, experiment with color combos, and figure yardage. lt's really come in handy when I was still in the t-shirt quilt business for layouts. I'm taking classes virtual at the 2021 QuiltCon on using it for designing modern quilts and I can't wait.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:52 AM

im afraid I wouldn’t get anything done if I had either one...especially sewing. LOL
Old 12-30-2020, 06:26 AM

I've beem upgrading it since I got the 1st version. Never really used it much but decided after getting V8 I'd take some lessons on how to use it. The lessons are amazing online. The basic is 3 times a week. The master is once a week. I've learned so much from these lessons. They can get your creative juices flowing. I think these lessons are for both 7 or 8 if interested. My only regret is that I didn't take these lessons sooner.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:28 AM

That’s how I use it. It’s helped my design process. Graph paper is great but with EQ you don’t have to redraw the whole quilt to make a few changes. I usually go through several layouts before settling on the final. You can click through all the variations to make your final decision. I can then print out the design and use it to make notes as I sew the quilt. It’s also helped me to improve my color choices and placement. And I like having the yardage calculations and diagram showing cutting sizes of individual pieces. Plus it’s just fun to play with. I’ve designed far more quilts than I’ll ever make.