Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2021 >

What are we organizing today 2021

What are we organizing today 2021

Old 06-27-2021, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Today, I'm emptying out out my big basket of scraps and throwing them away. I've had it sitting in the way for years now. I do use the scraps when I quilt, but I think I'd rather have a nice neat space where I can move around more. There will be plenty more scraps from where those came from. Time to move on.

It feels very scary, but freeing to me to do this. I'd better watch a couple of episodes of, "Hoarders," to get my courage up.
After awhile, I get sick of seeing the same ole scraps to choose from…so I do the tossing routine often. Except anything yellow….lol!
Old 06-27-2021, 02:44 PM

I was so sick of seeing the scrap batting pile grow, I finally made a couple of dog beds for our neighbor’s German Shepherds.. They were thrilled but not as thrilled as me… kept a few larger pieces for small projects but the rest….gone!!
Old 06-27-2021, 05:15 PM

Rob: Wow to your dreams! They were vivid for you to remember the details.

tropit: Good for you for tossing those scraps.

Teen: Great way to recycle those batting pieces.

I went out of town a week ago and took some things to give to various family members. It felt good to get some pictures, fabric, a ruler and cutting mat, and even a kitchen item out of my house. Although, I somehow came home with more than I gave away. Lol! My DBIL and his wife moved and found lots and lots of old Sports Illustrated that their son had from my husband. Supposedly there is some value to them. 🤷‍♀️ I also was given a plastic file container with patterns from my DMIL. I sorted through them and tossed quite a bit because she had traced the patterns and had some of the originals too. I smiled when I realized it was the file system that I helped her set up years ago. ❤️

Old 06-27-2021, 06:09 PM

We’ve been organizing, but we haven’t started on the sewing room yet. We’ve decided to sell the house and move to my Mom’s house. We have gone through a basement full of “stuff.” We’ve lived in the same house for 20 years, and the basement has been a repository for anything we didn’t have an immediate need for. Problem is, as many of you know, that included things that we had no use for, were broken, obsolete, or out of style, clothes that didn’t fit, duplicate things, etc. I’ve lost count of how many trips we’ve made to the dump and the local second hand ministry. We are also sending a few things to Mom’s for a sale. So far, the kitchen, dining room, den, and Emmaline’s room look fantastic. The basement ebbs and flows as we run across new treasures. Just our bedroom, 3 bathrooms, a small office, and the sewing room to go. Wish us luck! House goes live on Wednesday.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:21 AM

My organization task is to to get back to the sewing room and finish some little projects that are fabric based but not a quilting. Getting those little bug-a-boos out of my space will leave me with more room for what I love to do.............. make quilts. Volunteering to do projects even for worthy organizations can make a mess in my space. "Oh, it is just a ____ "(fill in the blank)! . Yes, time to regulate volunteer commitments. I started to volunteer sew as a way to eat up stash. Now they are giving me fabric for their projects. Yikkes! Back to the machine and then out the door with those items. Result a sewing room clean up! Ahhhh, good feeling on two counts. Helping others and fabric out of the way.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:29 AM

Default What are we organizing today

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Hey y’all, Here’s the new thread for the new year. Happy New Year everyone and let’s talk organizing stuff!

Rob
This is my favorite topic. It encourages me to work on my sewing room (which it seems like I am always doing). Lol
Old 06-28-2021, 05:34 AM

I went to a yard sale the other day. They were selling fabric for $1 a yard. I asked the lady would she make me a better offer if I bought it all. She said how about $75. When I got home I counted it up. 260 yards of fabric. Some of it I probably would never use, so I posted it online the way it was originally marked and sold it for $75.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jshep View Post
I went to a yard sale the other day. They were selling fabric for $1 a yard. I asked the lady would she make me a better offer if I bought it all. She said how about $75. When I got home I counted it up. 260 yards of fabric. Some of it I probably would never use, so I posted it online the way it was originally marked and sold it for $75.
oh my gosh!! That is fantastic! You are quite the wheeler and dealer!! Well done..
Old 06-28-2021, 04:35 PM

wesing: Wishing you a fast house sale and a great move!

WMUTeach: Helping others and using up fabric is what I love to do too!

Jshep: Super buy and a wonderful way to quickly destash.

I have 2 quilt tops I hope to finish this week and then it is time to put away extra fabric from a variety of finished quilt tops.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

We had our carpets cleaned yesterday so while that was going on I was hanging out in the sewing room with the kitten. After (putzing) for a few minutes- undecided what to work on I noticed how * over run* my scrap basket was, so, decided to work on that. Started cutting scraps into usable sizes and stacking them nicely. Didn’t get through all of them but it looks lots better and there weren’t as many as it looked like. I still have a basket of long strips to roll up- trying to decide if I’m going to do a new Locker hooking rug , a toothbrush rug, make some new coiled twine baskets, or just start sewing strings together. I have enough to do all those things- I guess I need to just start something. But anyway, things are shaping up nicely in my space little by little.