Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2021 >

What are we organizing today 2021

What are we organizing today 2021

Old 07-18-2021, 04:59 AM

Pbraun- LOL!

I just ran across a decluttering video where the person was discussing ways to help yourself decide how much to keep. The gist of it was that you could set a number for each type of thing, or choose a container to limit the amount of an item. I like the idea of mixing both methods, though I find that I more often use the container method. For example: scraps- I have a designated drawer for crumbs and once it’s full I can’t keep any more crumbs until I make room in that drawer by using up what I’ve already got. Same with my clothes. I have one drawer for my good tshirts and polo shirts- if it's full, no more can come into the house unless I get rid of some.

Not sure how well this idea would work for everyone, but it has definitely helped me set limits on how much fabric and thread I keep on hand in my studio.

Rob

Old 07-19-2021, 11:34 AM

Great idea, Rob.. Limits definitely help..takes discipline…especially with scraps….and I’m a clothes horse….so very challenging..lol..

Today, I reorganized my guest room walk-in closet. It was starting to turn out like a “catch all” of undecided stuff so …today…I decided and…poof…gone to charity pile…
Old 07-20-2021, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I have our family room area all decluttered of extra quilting items. The tribe arrived and unfortunately it was all moved to the sewing room...I can get in and work at the LA, but that's about all. I got the backing issues on t shirt# 2 resolved and finished quilting. It is now bound with threads trimmed and ready to be sent off this afternoon with DSon#3 up to visit DDaughter. Meanwhile we have been sitting 12 Grand at the table and 8 adults! The sweet littlest ones are leaving today. To top it off we were in PA for a week, came home and internet is down...won't be fixed until next week....ugh. Borrowing wifi from FarmerSon. DSon#2 and fam here for a few more days. Not sure when their departure day is.

Hope to get more done in August.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:07 PM

Our house cleaner works at the thrift store. Everytime she comes, she takes a few items with her. This time, she took yrs of accumulated dust attached to the thrift store items.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

yesterday afternoon, a little after 1 pm I thought about getting something done in the sewing room
I need to make some log cabin blocks for a group project so I started looking for the appropriate fabrics then decided to use my Accuquilt Go to cut my strips- so, first I had to clean off the cabinet it lives on so I had room to use it- it was really nice to have that cabinet all cleaned off- everything put away- it’s a 6 foot long metal and glass display cabinet which I use as a giant light box sometimes since it has lights in it ( when it’s not being used as the sewing room catch all) then as I was looking for the fabrics I need for the blocks( scrappy reds, whites and blues) I was having trouble finding reds….thinking “ I know I have lots of different reds”…which led me to ** it’s time to sort, fold, organize those fabric shelves. **
when I started I actually thought I only needed to do the top two shelves, but, once I got going… I totally emptied, sorted, folded and stacked the fabrics on all 6 shelves which are 5 feet wide, 18” deep and 14” tall. I can actually see what I’m running short of, and am amazed that Yes, I have gaps! Yea! It’s all nice and neat, there are no more scraps crammed onto shelves, and I didn’t find a whole lot of scraps anyway. I actually got through all of that and was back to the Accuquilt cutting red strips by the time my hubby came home from work at 4. So it was a productive afternoon. Slowly but surely I’m making headway in there. I need to spend more time sewing but when I m struggling with that spending time decluttering is a good step. I have to work all weekend so I ( might) bring a small cutting mat, cutter, ruler & basket of scraps with me and see if I can’t get some of them cut into useable sizes and decluttered during breaks. It’s supposed to rain all day so I won’t be going out for my usual 3 mile walk in the afternoon.
we shall see. Today I went for my walk- but it is so sticky humid, I found it difficult to breath so I came back in .
Old 07-23-2021, 05:47 PM

Way to go Ckcowl!!! Isn’t it amazing how one thing can lead to another?

Rob
Old 07-23-2021, 08:05 PM

Ckcowl - that is a remarkable accomplishment for a single afternoon! Hurrah! It's amazing what can happen when you get in the "zone." Well done, indeed! :-)
Old 07-24-2021, 01:13 PM

Impressive, Ckcowl…you were on a roll!! Well done!

Do any of you have one of the big porch chests/trunk etc. on your porch? Well, I do…It’s designed for sticking your cushions and pillows in it during the off season but I wanted mine for placing my small garden tools, gloves, insecticides etc. Things I need access to more often when piddling around in gardens and patio plants etc. I don’t remember giving permission to my Hubbie to stick stuff in there…ugh! Irritating…
Old 07-24-2021, 05:16 PM

ckcowl: Way to go!

Teen: Great use of the porch trunk! I think you need a lock on it and only you know where the key is kept. Lol!

I bought storage stands for my AccuQuilt long dies so I needed to make a spot for them. Then I decided to organize some dies on the shelf. Well, one thing led to another and I soon found myself going through a large 3-ring binder with protective card stock covers and directions I had saved from the AccuQuilt dies. I was able to condense the contents to a pocket folder with clips for page protectors. Wahoo! Now what do I do with the large binder? 🤷‍♀️ I will keep it for now in case I decide to condense smaller binders into one. I did get some sewing done also.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

Today didn’t quite start out the way I planned, but when things changed I decided to take advantage of some free time in the garage before it became too hot. It seems like during our year of shut down a lot of( piles) accumulated in the garage- I used to donate stuff to local places every couple months but during the time of them being closed, or not accepting donations everything just got piled in the garage. Once I got going it really wasn’t near as bad as I thought it was- lots of empty boxes that just needed to be broke down & recycled, one bag of stuff to actually go to the women’s resource center thrift store, one bag to the trash, and
hey! There is the tote with all the silk ties I’ve been searching the sewing room for- trying to figure out what could have happened to…and, the box of cut up denim squares- oh and my tote of wool fabrics! They are all still in the garage, but now they are where I know where they are- unburied and accessible when I want them . Also found my wool hooked rug I was working on- have about 3/4 done- had total Forgotten about it…no idea why it landed in the garage
I didn’t get anything done in the sewing room but still made good progress, the garage looks so much better and tomorrow morning I will be free to spend some time in the sewing room- maybe actually sewing.