Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2021 >

What are we organizing today 2021

What are we organizing today 2021

Old 11-29-2021, 06:32 PM

ckcowl: Wow! Great job of organizing! It may not have been in your plan for today but it’s a job well done!

Gemm: Good luck with your garage organizing.

petthefabric: Great tactic to keep the cupboard/counter clean.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:51 AM

Organizing! Ha! I am reaping the results of organizing. I had family come for the Thanksgiving holiday so I cleaned up and organized my sewing room so it could be used as a sleeping space. I am now searching to retrieve what I need to have close at hand to continue projects. Tee-Hee-Hee, It seems that sometimes my slightly messy form of organization works for me.

But for today, my organization will be limited to my work life.... again. Just a few more days, then back to my machine and fabric stash.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:04 AM

ckcowl- I'm in awe!

I managed to consolidate the stored artwork that was in the storage rack in the walk in closet in my quilting studio/office space. That left one whole bay to store the Christmas ornament totes that used to be stored under the guest bed in my studio. Yay! They are now out from under foot. Still haven't gotten rid of any of the books - I may go back to the trick I used several years ago to help whittle them down- Once a day or once a week, which ever works, find 5 books that I am willing to part with and put them in a donation box or if there's room add to the little free library across the street.

This past weekend I picked out the background fabrics to use for my Debby Brown October quilt, and also sorted and put away all the scraps that were leftover from quilts quilted before my riding mishap so I'm feeling pretty pleased about the state of my studio at the moment. We'll see how long that lasts LOL!

Happy organizing and quilting everyone.

Rob

Old 12-03-2021, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

Today’s goal- that ( Big stack) of Ben’s quilts that are quilted but not yet bound. The chair they are stacked on is going to fall over if I don’t address it- and, I know he was hoping to gift some of them this Christmas. So…
I have the binding attached to the first side on the big one, cut the needed strips for 4 others . If I can get those done this weekend I will be able to reach the corner of the room ( stacked almost to the ceiling with totes & stuff tossed on top the totes) that I’ve been avoiding for a few years.
i of course am kind of scattered- when I get started- I can stay on a task for a while then something causes me to stop ( phone call, bathroom break, washer/dryer stops- doesn’t take much); then I find myself doing something completely different than what I had planned. I guess it doesn’t matter too much- as long as I’m still accomplishing something….
the * brain damaged me* is slowly learning acceptance
Old 12-03-2021, 09:08 AM

ckcowl - you have absolutely the right idea when it comes to task management. Accomplishing something, even if it wasn't in your original plan, is always worth celebrating! Some of my greatest organizational moments have happened when I had a to-do list of other stuff longer than my arm but it was just what I was able to deal with in the moment and I've always been happy about it. :-) Breaks from a task are also really important, whether they're intentional or not. It keeps things fresh.

Thanks for being so willing to share your successes and challenges - I am always encouraged. :-)
Old 12-03-2021, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

Well, another day comes to an end- I didn’t accomplish anything on my list- I did grocery shopping- which took Much Longer than I expected- I hope I’m stocked up to not have to do that again this year! I really dislike dealing with that task! By the time I got home, hauled it all in, put it all away - cleaned out and organized the big freezer ( hey, I did organize something-Yea); I was Done.
I grabbed a big glass of water, turned the tv to the Olympics channel and sat on my butt. Jeff had already told me we were going out to dinner to a new restaurant so I didn’t have to worry about that. Good thing though- tomorrow I can spend the day in my sewing room, putting doing what ever I decide to do. It’s snowing, it’s nice to not have to leave the house, I don’t even have to get dressed if I choose not to- that’s something to look forward to.
my long week s coming up at work and iWork all next weekend- …. Maybe I should consider hauling in a few decorations too….
Old 12-07-2021, 10:42 AM

Hello Everyone!

So, it turns out I am good at getting organized -- but STAYING organized is lot tougher. Has anyone tried to set a specific day each month to do a quick cleanup? For example, the last Saturday of the month? I am thinking something like this might work for me.

Any suggestions about how to STAY organized? Cleaning up after every project doesn't work for me because I flip-flop between mutliple projects which means I am never really done.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:45 AM

I tidied up the sewing room got rid of scraps put things away vacuumed now the dusting still has to be done. I will be doing quilting and not piecing quilts hopefully it all goes the way i planned
Old 12-07-2021, 12:23 PM

Foggy - it sounds like you and I are very similar. I don't have a winning strategy for you, but a thought I have recently had is dedicating a few largish (boot box to underbed box depending on my need) totes to WIPs. My sewing room is our dining room (I only picked up quilting again during the pandemic so one day I will have to give up the space, I fear). My idea is to keep most of my fabric upstairs and out of the way, but have those totes ready to temporarily tuck away whichever project I am or am not currently working on. I am also trying to figure out a way of organizing offcuts as I go. I'm thinking some smaller totes could work for this as well - just put the strips or squares into their own dedicated boxes - they might need to be sorted again, but at least it would be a start. I honestly have no idea if this system will work and, like you, I'm eager to see other people's ideas!
Old 12-07-2021, 07:50 PM

Foggy…invest in project boxes so when you are not working on a project, you can close the lid and stack. Typically, I am not one to work on multiple projects at once; however, I may kit up future projects….using these boxes help me stay organized. It’s a fantastic feeling when the project is done and you can then empty the box, sort scraps, and do what you normally do with them….I cut them up immediately…usually…but I got behind….And dealt with them a bit today.. The project boxes i use are artist boxes…from Joann’s....I’ll post a picture…

This was almost full of scraps that I spent time cutting up into my typical sizes tonight while I watched a movie…lol…. still more to go but it was getting ridiculous…..phew…
Attached Thumbnails 1d971015-c805-42a4-afc5-6f1466de1824.jpeg   8d56e402-fd88-475b-b382-76295fee81bb.jpeg  

Last edited by Teen; 12-07-2021 at 07:55 PM.