Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions for a new chair >

Suggestions for a new chair

Suggestions for a new chair

Old 01-01-2021, 09:32 PM

Default Suggestions for a new chair

Hello! I'm wanting to get a new chair for my sewing room and was wondering if a regular office chair with arms is ok or if it's better to get the armless? Any suggestions welcome too. Thank you!
Old 01-01-2021, 09:40 PM

I have had both, armless chairs are better. They allow for more freedom of movement.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:43 AM

I agree that arm less is better, at least for me. Those arms can get in the way of moving a large quilt through your machine to finish piecing or quilting. I especially like office chairs as I can raise and lower the seat height as needed or wanted and they roll! That said, all office chairs are not created equal, if you can go sit in a couple to get a feel for how it fits your body especially your back before you make a choice.
Old 01-02-2021, 04:26 AM

Armless for me - I have a Koala chair - purchased floor model from sewing machine store. Love it. Very sturdy
Old 01-02-2021, 05:22 AM

I'm due for a new sewing chair also....would only consider armless because it would fit better under my sewing table.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:24 AM

I have an armless bungee chair. Lightweight to roll around. VERY comfortable, on my back and backend🤣.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:41 AM

Thank you everyone for all your replies! I'm going to check out all the suggestions.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:52 AM

I got a great office chair from an office furniture place....herman miller....sales person said it was a $600 chair traded in as it was a dusty rose which did not work with their new office color...I did pay a $100 for it and thought I was crazy...but it is the best chair I have. Has a bunch of different adjustments on it. I did not get the arms with it and haven't missed them. Used it to roll along my wanna be midarm to quilt when I had that set-up as I had problems with plantar faucitis and could not stand for long...too low for my current long arm set-up so use it as a sewing chair. So if you have this kind of store nearby you might find a bargin.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:06 AM

Armless is my choice, too. Best to sit in chair before you buy it. Want to make sure your legs are supported enough.
Old 01-02-2021, 04:08 PM

The most comfortable chair for me was one with arms. I bought it and never put the arms on.

So I have an armless chair.