Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 15-18, 2021 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 15-18, 2021

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Jan 15-18, 2021

Old 01-15-2021, 04:14 PM

Yes! VQW. Just found this at 4PM. This AM finished the center for round robin, took pictures and mailed it and scraps. Cousin was here, yesterday and today. Yesterday he cleaned up computer files and disabled some files that were always on but never used. Works a smidgen better. Then he worked on downloading photos. So this AM, we worked together on getting photos to computer and organizing files. Still need to upload photos to QB, and now I feel it's doable. So much better. (I did some sewing things for him,) Getting to my Bernina gave me a new insight into UFO's hanging around, taking up space and making it tough to get to machine so I can use it. Time to quilt and get them out of here.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:43 PM

Panchita—good luck quilting. My only advice is to keep your movements and stitching steady

eparys—glad you’re joining us

railroadersbrat—that sounds cool!

I finished 13 blocks for one of my mystery quilts today. So that is all caught up!
Old 01-15-2021, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshirepat View Post
I'm torn! I really just want to plant myself in the sewing room and either baste the edge and trim/bind the stupid Christmas quilt that is unfinished, or piece the backing for my sister's quilt, or even try a new-to-me hand stitching project I saw for small scraps (which really is just playing with color, my favorite thing). But, I also really want to get some plants put in before it's hot again here, I want to get wire for the vintage sewing machine that needs rewiring, etc....
Hope you settled on something! You could put them on slips of paper and then pull one out of a hat to give you a nudge!
Old 01-15-2021, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
Rff1010--sometimes it really helps to step back from a project for a bit. When you pick up again, perhaps you'll have a different perspective.
Thank you for the grace. I packed up all the blocks and put them away. What I would really like is to bring them to my aunt's house (she's been quilting for 30+ years) but with Covid she's really been locked down and I'm going to respect that.

We did spend 1.5 hours on the phone yesterday and she talked me thru machine applique. I'm not confident yet but at least I have a map now.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:16 PM

I spent the day sewing at my friend's house. I'm trying to finish the Ripple JR quilt. As of today, 3 rows are sewn together with all blocks for rows 4& 5 finished. Rows 6 & 7 only need 1 strip of sashing with corner stone and then all those last rows can be sewn together. K, my friend, & I work well together. I cut the strips, place them in the right location on each block, & she sews them on. She also chooses the cornerstone & sews them to strips. I sew on that part, & the blocks come together quickly. We should finish the top & get the quilt sandwiched tomorrow. I'll quilt it & K will probably bind it. I think we can have it.completed by the time I leave for my daughter's late next week.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:07 PM

I'm in! Spent all afternoon yesterday cleaning the basement rec room where long arm is--boy, does quilting produce a ton of lint and threads! Today I got a friend's quilt that her cousins great grandmother started, grandma helped and now it's her's. So the friend finished it up for her and I'm quilting. It has some amazing feedsack fabrics in 8 pt stars. All loaded on the long arm and ready to do tomorrow. I spent the afternoon doing the last week of my improv blocks for our quilt guild challenge of a temp quilt. besides quilting on the friend's quilt I also need to hem a pair of pants for DH--a task I'd rather put off!
Old 01-15-2021, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

I managed to get 2 of the 9 quilts I have, bound. The lady who made them also cut the binding for me and sent it along, so that was a big help. Only 7 to go!

I also just joined the birthday swap, and got many squares cut today. I’ll have more time for sewing tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:55 AM

This is a test to see if I can upload a photo of my Red Truck tree skirt from my new phone (it apparently needs to be resized in a different way than I used previously...)

Attached Thumbnails q-little-red-truck-tree-skirt-50pc.jpg  
Old 01-16-2021, 01:58 AM

OK, well that's a bit dinkier than I wanted, but at least the photo is up (I'll play around with percentage-resizing later to try and get any further photos a bit larger when clicked on)

If you can see it, the diagonal white strip across the centre is actually my quilter's tape guideline to start quilting, not flawed piecing... I'm going in!!

Old 01-16-2021, 03:17 AM

That’s a cute tree skirt, Panchita! Congratulations on getting the pic to upload. I recently updated the operating system on my computer and spent a couple of days trying to figure out how to resize pics. Turns out it uses the same program to resize, but the link is in a different place- sheesh!

Rob