Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Oat milk. >

Oat milk.

Oat milk.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
How would you distinguish between coconut milk and coconut water? They're both beverages.
You just brought back a childhood memory ... Every once in a while my Dad would treat us, and buy a coconut, cut it open and we would drink the water, and the best part ..... scoop out the coconut!! Oh that was SO good!!!

Coconut water is the natural liquid you get when you open a coconut.
I would suspect coconut water, purchased without the coconut, is processed to some extent, in order for it to keep. Perhaps with some additives? Perhaps the nutrient contents change? I don't have the answers, just questions I would ask.

Coconut beverage is a processed product, like almond, soy, oat, rice, etc. drinks are.
They all make me "cringe" with the word milk added to them. Just so not true.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
...........My particular grief is why is milk sold by fat percentage and not by its fat free designation; ie whole milk is 96.5% fat free, 2% is 98% fat free. And look there's only a 1.5% fat difference in the two! My little soap box......
Is there room for me on that soapbox with you, OKSoGlad?
Especially when you consider all the other foods we eat, that are much much higher in % fat content. So many avoid whole milk, yet it's pretty darned low in fat, when compared to so many other foods we eat that are so fat filled!

............In regards to the Vitamin D issue. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin (as is Vitamin A); in other words only carried in fat. If you take the fat out, you also take out the Vitamin D!
Are Vitamins A and D added to milk in the USA? Health Canada mandated the fortification of milk years ago (in the 70s, I think?) to ensure that we get the much needed benefits of both.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

Yes, they are added to milk, but not a mandatory addition.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Yes, they are added to milk, but not a mandatory addition.
Thanks OKSewGlad ... always interesting to learn more about the differences/similarities between our countries.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

I buy Darigold brand whole milk. The grands love the chocolate milk, made from whole milk and tastes like a creamy milkshake. I don't buy milk in see through jugs.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:46 PM

Since the pandemic hit, we have been buying many things direct from local farmers and that includes milk. One dairy has a store onsite, open during daylight hours. It is on the honor system. A couple of coolers stocked with milk: white, chocolate and strawberry as well as several different varieties of dairy made cheeses. The milk is pasturized (law in Ohio) but not homogenized. My DH loves to pour the chocolate milk straight into the ice cream maker and add various goodies. You can see the cows in the milking parlor from inside the store. There is another dairy whose milk is even richer (think icebergs of cream) but they are too far to get to regularly. Luckily the milk is sold at the little store run by the folks we buy our grass fed meat from. And don't get me started on the butter. All this yumminess and no weight gain is possible with portion control.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
Oat milk is great, I pretty much eat a plant based diet. It's easy to make from steel cut oats. It can be used as a coffee creamer, in pancakes, mashed potatoes and anything else you put milk in. I am not a big milk drinker, never was so I don't drink a big glass of it with my breakfast.
Does the oat milk separate in your coffee? I make almond milk and it does separate, if I don't add some guar gum to it.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The best tasting non milk to me is Flax milk. It's hard to find in my area because the stores couldn't sell enough of it. The pedrictionas my kids over the years told me don't give my kids soy products so I never bought any to try.
You could probably make your own. I'd start by buying flax seeds in bulk and them whizzing them in the blender with some water, then strain. Humm....I have some flax seeds. I may just try that.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by janiebakes View Post
Since the pandemic hit, we have been buying many things direct from local farmers and that includes milk. One dairy has a store onsite, open during daylight hours. It is on the honor system. A couple of coolers stocked with milk: white, chocolate and strawberry as well as several different varieties of dairy made cheeses. The milk is pasturized (law in Ohio) but not homogenized. My DH loves to pour the chocolate milk straight into the ice cream maker and add various goodies. You can see the cows in the milking parlor from inside the store. There is another dairy whose milk is even richer (think icebergs of cream) but they are too far to get to regularly. Luckily the milk is sold at the little store run by the folks we buy our grass fed meat from. And don't get me started on the butter. All this yumminess and no weight gain is possible with portion control.
Wow! Lucky you! I used to have some friends that had a huge herd of dairy goats. I'd get some fresh milk from them and made cheese with it. So good!
Old 02-02-2021, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

I never heard of oat milk until this thread but just yesterday my oldest son told me how much he loves it in coffee.