Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas Needed for 48" x 96" Work Table >

Ideas Needed for 48" x 96" Work Table

Ideas Needed for 48" x 96" Work Table

Old 02-03-2021, 12:37 PM

Default Ideas Needed for 48" x 96" Work Table

I would really like to have a nice flat gridded service where I can accurately measure and square up larger projects before binding. I have 2 identical bookcases that are 36" tall by 48" wide, so I am thinking of laying a 48" x 96" piece of plywood
across the bookcases (with a gap in the middle) for the surface of the work table.

What can I do for a grid to measure by, though? I don't even need it for cutting since I have smaller mats for that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by LadyAg; 02-03-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:49 PM
mkc

I would recommend looking at some home dec workroom sites for idea. That large a worktable is more along the lines of their setups. Try workroomtech.com and look at some of their articles, like this one

Be aware, without support (similar to having floor joists), if there is too much gap spanned between the bookcases the plywood will sag and bounce. It is not a rigid item, especially with a long, unsupported span. You need to fabricate something to support the plywood.

Last edited by mkc; 02-03-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

I think i would want the sheet of plywood hinged in the middle so it could be folded and put away now and then. I wonder if saw horses could be purchased or made for the proper height for some additional center support.

as far as i know, plywood comes in various thicknesses and qualities.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

Great idea to great a really big workspace. It makes it so much easier to square up and trim when you have a surface that will hold the quilt.

The way I understand it is .... that you are wanting a grid but without cutting mats, in order to square up your quilts.

However, to me, if you are squaring up quilts you will find it easier to not be limited to having to move your mats around to cut.

For squaring up, here's what I do .... quilting rulers/squares are my biggest asset. Line things up and then cut as I want and in whatever angle I want, not necessarily square with the table.

Therefore, to get a large grid for measuring, you might be best to choose an oversize cutting mat(s). My cutting/work table is 48"x72" (two tables butted together), and is fully covered with four mats. When they need replacing, I will look into the really large ones, and ideally that will be what I will get.

Last edited by QuiltE; 02-03-2021 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:00 PM

You might consider gridded contact paper, or even gridded wallpaper. They do come in several sizes:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gridded+c...ref=nb_sb_noss

https://www.wallsticker.com.my/wallpaper-sticker-607

https://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Square-Peel-and-Stick-Wallpaper-Self-Adhesive-Film-Contact-Paper-Grid-Home/124014948233

https://wallpapersafari.com/white-grid-wallpaper/

Last edited by mindless; 02-03-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:47 PM

I think plywood would be "okay" but unless it's about 3/4" thick, I believe it would have a tendency to bend if you put a lot of pressure on it, plus it would be rough on fabric unless you get furniture grade plywood, again, quite a bit of money.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

I have a similar work surface, though not quite that large. I put a 36" wide solid core door across two bookcases. I think it's probably 80" long. My AccuQuilt Studio 2 now sits at one end and I use the other end for rotary cutting. When I'm measuring something extra long, I usually use the longarm table and a tape measure.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:38 PM

Oh my husband got two tall solid wooden office doors from his work place that had been put in the trash. He built me a work table with storage underneath. Loved that thing but had to leave it when he passed away and i had to move. I hope whom ever purchased the house put it to use. even in the garage, where he put his door!
Old 02-04-2021, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
I would recommend looking at some home dec workroom sites for idea. That large a worktable is more along the lines of their setups. Try workroomtech.com and look at some of their articles, like this one

Be aware, without support (similar to having floor joists), if there is too much gap spanned between the bookcases the plywood will sag and bounce. It is not a rigid item, especially with a long, unsupported span. You need to fabricate something to support the plywood.

this is the worktable of my dreams!!! If only I had a space big enough for it.

Rob
Old 02-04-2021, 04:27 AM

I would buy the metal rulers that come in 4 feet lengths. They can be attached to the edges.