Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion quilting w/special rulers >

Free motion quilting w/special rulers

Free motion quilting w/special rulers

Old 02-12-2021, 07:02 AM

Question Free motion quilting w/special rulers

1. If you are a beginner FM quilter is it better to improve your technique before getting rulers OR do the rulers make the learning curve easier?
  2. If you buy rulers to match low/high shank, how do you determine if your machine is low or high?
  3. Does someone have a link to the best price/product?
Old 02-12-2021, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
  1. If you are a beginner FM quilter is it better to improve your technique before getting rulers OR do the rulers make the learning curve easier?
  2. If you buy rulers to match low/high shank, how do you determine if your machine is low or high?
  3. Does someone have a link to the best price/product?
I have just started doing ruler work on my sit down. From what I know so far, doing ruler work does help you get comfortable with free motion quilting as it sort of takes away one element you have to learn. Most times with ruler work, the suggestion is to start out with straight line quilting using the ruler as a guide until you get comfortable with that. What you learn is how to move the fabric with the feed dogs down while you still have the ruler to guide you. I think over time, you will learn more about how to coordinate the speed of your hands with the speed of the machine to get a more consistent stich length. I never could get that part down but this may vary with people. I have heard others say that doing ruler work, has helped with their free motion also. The best way to figure out if your machine is a high or low shank is to check with the maker of the machine. For example, I have a bernina...which interestingly is neither a high or low shank as bernina did it's own thing and I had to get a Bernina ruler work foot and not a generic. I can however use all the rulers that work with a high shank machine.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:26 AM

Forgot to mention want to learn FM on my DSM.

Do I need a special FM foot?

And...where/what rulers to buy as a starter set.

Last edited by Julienm1; 02-12-2021 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:55 AM

I have been ruler quilting for a couple of years now. I would suggest the Sew Steady website for purchasing ruler foot and rulers. I know there are many other makers of ruler feet and rulers but I would start with Sew Steady. They will make sure that you get the correct foot for your machine and they have YouTube videos showing how to use the different rulers. They also have Sew Steady University with classes and projects to use your rulers, sign up is free and many of the classes are also free. Do not purchase rulers/feet off Amazon as many are knockoffs of Sew Steady or other ruler manufacturers, they are poor quality and could possibly damage your machine. I also just completed HollyAnne Knight's Free Motion Quilting Academy and I do believe my knowledge of using rulers helped me learn, I use my ruler foot when free motion quilting as it gives me the option to change between the two when quilting tops and I feel that it did help with speed/stitch control. Also make sure you purchase the right ruler for your foot (high or low shank) as a high shank ruler will not work on a low shank foot as it is too thick but a low shank ruler will work on a high shank machine. Another good place for rulers is Angela Walters, her rulers are high quality and she now has both low and high shank options and she has lots of YouTube videos demonstrating her rulers. I love my rulers and hopefully if you decide to start ruler work you will too, like other types of quilting it will be frustrating but remember practice, practice and practice.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:10 AM

TYSM 3 dog...just the info I was looking for. LET THE SHOPPING BEGIN...maybe!
Old 02-12-2021, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Check out the Westalee ruler site also. I have a Bernina so my machine needs their foot but there are generic ruler feet for other brands. As for which to learn first....some people find ruler work easier then FMQ. You are following a defined path so all you need to concentrate on is moving the quilt at a steady pace. I recommend Machinger gloves to get a better grip and get the sticky tape that goes on the bottom of the rulers.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:39 AM

I FMQ quite a bit. I only have one ruler. It has a gap in the middle that your foot fits into and allows you to make a straight line easily. Interestingly with FMQ, making straight lines is the hardest part for many people. Learning how to do a meander and other simple FMQ designs is fundamental. Don't neglect those to concentrate on ruler work. I also do stitch in the ditch with FMQ. Matching the thread or using invisible thread. That gives you a lot of FMQ practice that most people won't see and its quicker than using a walking foot.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

A good resource for tutorials is Angela Walters. I also love her rulers.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:39 PM

I started with the Westalee 6-piece ruler set and really love them! They're the ones on SewSteady.com. I've recently discovered Amanda Murphy's rulers. She has sets of every circle, every oval, every wave, every star, every angle, lollies, and ribbon candy. I use all sizes of circles and ovals quite a bit, so was pretty excited to find these. If your machine can take a high-shank ruler, HandiQuilter has a ruler of the month club, where the rulers are only $20 each, which is a really good price.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:35 PM

I dont think you need to be great at fmq for rulers. Rulers themselves provide the precision needed. You get rulers for the machine you plan to use. I have a high shank machine and long arm so I buy long arm rulers. I also have low shank so if I wanted to use my rulers I can only use on front and sides because you can't use the rulers behind low shank feet. So if you have a low shank machine you need low shank rulers. You can add fmq to ruler quilting but it is not necessary. Also make sure to have a ruler foot.