Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 185J - 15/17 Wt. Thread >

Singer 185J - 15/17 Wt. Thread

Singer 185J - 15/17 Wt. Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 08:56 AM

Default Singer 185J - 15/17 Wt. Thread

Just waiting on parts (only new wiring) coming in for the spare 185J which I plan to use for denim, outdoor and heavier canvas projects which is getting more frequent lately.
So it's been serviced for now, excl. new wiring. which has just been ordered and I then adjusted the lower tension to happily give a nice balanced stitch when using a thicker thread 15-17 Wt. on the bottom.
I ran a couple of stitch tests and the 185J will work indeed for said purpose Another reason i chose the 185 for this specific job was, with it going to be eating heavier stuff consistently now....parts are easily & readily available so win win in my opinion.
A much over-looked machine I find and it's nothing but the last good ole tried & tested model 99 range.

Last edited by Hooligan; 06-04-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:57 AM

Here's a few more pics

Last edited by Hooligan; 06-04-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:00 AM

These are excellent machines. I loved my 185J, but it didn’t get used so I passed along to someone else who would use it.

The leader of my Guy Quilter group was gifted a 99 in cabinet for QOV. I used it a couple of times for sew days and loved it. He’s been trying to get me to buy it, but space is at a premium so I keep saying no (so far).
Old 02-26-2021, 11:50 AM

What a nice gift for someone that is going to use it I'm at a point now where no more space but i keep looking

Old 02-26-2021, 12:06 PM

I love how some of these old machines will take such a wide spectrum of thread weights, mixed thread weights in the needle and bobbin, etc. They're just fantastic.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
I love how some of these old machines will take such a wide spectrum of thread weights, mixed thread weights in the needle and bobbin, etc. They're just fantastic.
I agree, very versatile machines the oldies
Old 02-26-2021, 09:22 PM

Hooligan, going by your signature, you have definitely caught "the bug!"

My main sewing machine for ten years was a 15-91 - I quilted a lot of huge quilts on that baby. I'll never get rid of her.

I bought an industrial Juki with an M bobbin a couple of years ago for making bags and wallets and I hardly ever sew on anything else now, but I have about 30 vintage and antique machines.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
Hooligan, going by your signature, you have definitely caught "the bug!"

My main sewing machine for ten years was a 15-91 - I quilted a lot of huge quilts on that baby. I'll never get rid of her.

I bought an industrial Juki with an M bobbin a couple of years ago for making bags and wallets and I hardly ever sew on anything else now, but I have about 30 vintage and antique machines.
Yes, my 15-91 is the main machine that i have no intentions of replacing...can't see it not doing what i want from it....How much more can you ask eh My eyes only direct towards Singers, probably because that's what i was taught on. If space allowed, i'd definitely be looking at an industrial Overlocker than this piece of plastic i have, that just sounds horrible (even though it does what i need, so i'll use it till it breaks).
Have heard good things with Juki's and probably the brand i'd be looking for i went that way. What model do you have out of curiosity? No where near your 30 machines lol who knows that the wife would do
Old 02-26-2021, 10:44 PM

I might go for an industrial overlocker if my reliable little plastic one wears out, but from what I can tell, those things are a BEAR to thread! LOL!

I was taught on a Singer, too.

I bought the Juki 8100eH/X because it had the giant bobbin and it was very flexible as to what it sews. It can sew saddle leathers but switching out the feed dogs and plate, it will also sew rayon jersey and even finer fabrics, like chiffon. I usually work in cork and heavy twill linings for my bags, but I've made some light leather wallets and I've bought some heavier suedes and leathers to mess with (someday). I'm stuck on quilts for the last couple of months, though.

I just quilted a throw and the border on a king size quilt on it and I truly love the extra room in the harp! And it's almost silent at normal speed - I can hear the television downstairs when I'm sewing, but my husband can't hear my machine running. It's very cool.

Old 02-27-2021, 04:40 AM

I bought my 195J just because it was the first vintage green sewing machine I had seen, so couldn't resist it. I cleaned it up and it runs great, but really haven't used it much because I have room for only 3 machines in my sewing room that get used all the time, my Bernina 1090, Singer 301A and Singer 221. I'm going to use it next time I need to sew denim.