Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 185J - 15/17 Wt. Thread >

Singer 185J - 15/17 Wt. Thread

Singer 185J - 15/17 Wt. Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Patg View Post
I bought my 195J just because it was the first vintage green sewing machine I had seen, so couldn't resist it. I cleaned it up and it runs great, but really haven't used it much because I have room for only 3 machines in my sewing room that get used all the time, my Bernina 1090, Singer 301A and Singer 221. I'm going to use it next time I need to sew denim.
Also limited to space here, have 3 machines out permanently and the couple of portables ready to grab. The others, like the 221 are stored away in a cupboard for the best part.
I only took the first 185J as it was a family members that they had bought new, then i grabbed a 2nd machine as it was going cheap. Over-looked machines i say. Next evolution of machines Singer produced started to go downhill from there (joys of introduction of the nasty plastic and cost savings).
For me the 401 was the last true great machine that Singer produced that spoke quality build.
Anyways, enjoy using yours next time you have some denim work