Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
OMG, I've gone crazy. I just bought a FW! >

OMG, I've gone crazy. I just bought a FW!

OMG, I've gone crazy. I just bought a FW!

Old 02-27-2021, 06:31 PM

Default OMG, I've gone crazy. I just bought a FW!

For $341.17 on Shopgoodwill. I was sure someone would outbid me. Well, yippee, lol. I hope they pack it well so it doesn't get crushed on the way from Connecticut to California. From C to shining C, lol.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:41 PM
Power Poster

I hope she arrives safely! I take mine to workshops and charity sew when we are not in lockdown.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:37 PM
Power Poster

They are like little tanks, so don’t worry too much about shipping damage!

Congrats and have fun with your new baby.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:29 AM

I bought one several years ago and it was shipped in winter. The OSMG who serviced it and sold it to me said to let it warm up for a few hours after you unpack it and before you run it. Cold weather stiffens up the oil.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by janiebakes View Post
I bought one several years ago and it was shipped in winter. The OSMG who serviced it and sold it to me said to let it warm up for a few hours after you unpack it and before you run it. Cold weather stiffens up the oil.
What great advice! Not only would the oil thicken, but since it is an all metal machine and the tolerances are so close, the metal in the machine would contract ever so slightly, and it's possible the gears would not all mesh correctly. I never would have considered this. Thanks for posting this advice!

Enjoy your FW!
Old 02-28-2021, 12:28 PM

How exciting! I am in love with my FW's. I have 2 and would not trade either. I can be putting both to work at one time easily. Of course I can also share one with my sister when she comes over for a sew a long. I am so happy for you.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:31 AM

You're going to love it. They make such a nice stitch and you can do all the maintenance yourself. Not to mention that they are so darn cute. Mine goes to all my retreats.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

What a treasure!!! You are going to love it. They are so much fun and super easy to maintain. Be sure to show us when you get it!
Old 03-01-2021, 08:53 AM

You are not doing my self-control *any* good, you know...and besides it almost seems like I *have* to get one now!?!?

I am just getting finished with my 'lil 99k -I've got a new bug-eye lamp coming in the mail along with some bobbins...and I'm twitchy for a FW! If I ever see one with a reasonable price tag...sigh.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:09 AM

welcome to the FW club! I love all 4 of mine, they are so cute and real work horse's and so easy to maintain. can I tell you about the best buy I made to go with mine? the book and DVD by David R. McCallum, how to care and fix your FW they are great for me a must have. happy for you , happy quilting!