Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Having fun with Angela Walters' Flora & Foliage Quilting Along >

Having fun with Angela Walters' Flora & Foliage Quilting Along

Having fun with Angela Walters' Flora & Foliage Quilting Along

Old 04-17-2021, 04:14 AM

Default Having fun with Angela Walters' Flora & Foliage Quilting Along

I've been meaning to get serious about learning FMQ for way too long, and Angela Walters starting up a Quilting Along gave me a nudge to get rolling. I've been having fun with her wood grain design. It strikes me as a nice pattern to start out with, as it's got some variety (gentle curving lines, stronger curves and spirals) without throwing too much at one all at once. A big plus is that real wood is not completely regular, so when the lines aren't quite as evenly spaced as I intended, it still looks like wood and is attractive. I'm not trying to make a quilt or wall hanging out my these early practice pieces, so there's no pressure to meet a given level of quality - I'm just having fun and learning! (And making all the typical beginner mistakes - I've learned to remind myself to slow my hands down on curves and to leave double wide spacing on a spiral that I want to come back out of.)

Week 2 is also out - it covers Leaves and Ferns. I haven't started on that one yet, but it looks like it will should be fun.

Is anybody else doing this Quilting Along?

Old 04-17-2021, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

I am watching. I don’t have the panel but I am working on a quilt with 2 1/2 inch strips so can practice on it.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:23 AM

I'm doing this also, I bought the panel (I fell in love with it) and have my woodgrain section completed. I haven't started the leaves and ferns yet either, I have watched the video. I have joined her quilt alongs before but never purchased her panels but learning to fit motifs into irregular shapes was what lead me to purchase this panel. Will be watching video again and then on to doodling, practicing and adding to my quilt.

Last edited by patricej; 02-18-2024 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:22 AM

I’m not doing it, but I’m watching the YouTubes. I like Angela’s style. Isn’t the woodgrain design great? I use that a lot in my quilting. It’s a good way to quickly finish a quilt, for me, as I do quite a few charity quilts.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:22 AM

I'm doing this challenge; my first one. I have the woodgrain pattern going OK except keeping consistent spacing between the lines and since Angela stresses the importance of that, I will work more on that. I tried for a couple days and quickly told myself that I need all the help I can get, so I purchased the panel and I love it. It may be my imagination, but I think it's easier to work on the panel. Today is Saturday and I want to get the leaves a good practice (maybe even master!) before week 3 comes out. I should probably get going on it instead of 'playing' on the computer.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:58 PM

This is my first challenge and only second quilt for FMQ. I struggled with the wood grain. Week two was a lot of fun. Despite a absolutely terrible first attempt the plume feather is turning into my favorite!