Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 26 - Sign-ups now open thru 4/30/21*** >

Boom 26 - Sign-ups now open thru 4/30/21***

Boom 26 - Sign-ups now open thru 4/30/21***

Old 08-06-2021, 06:07 AM

Great blocks ladies! As usual, I have finished off my boom with a Depression Block using my boom scraps (and a few extras to avoid duplicate fabrics). And, I also created a virtual quilt with the blocks I made. Right now my Depression Block quilt is 5 blocks by 6 blocks (about 60 inches by 72 inches) so I have a ways to go to finish it. Luckily I have lots of scraps!
Attached Thumbnails z-boom-26-depression-block.jpg   zz-boom-tile.jpg  
Old 08-06-2021, 06:55 AM

Ladies love all the new blocks each and everyone of them.

Biblistone what a great idea on making a depression block from the scraps and your virtual quilt is so fun.

We are at home picking up yard etc and there was a nice rain here last night, all of Minnesota needs it desperately.

Only 3 more weeks till we move into new house. Unfortunately with the need to remove the carpet from the soon to be sewing room and trying to find flooring that will at least blend in with the family room floor has tuned into quite the hunt. Family room floor has a distinct cherry coloring to it and

have a good day everyone
Old 08-06-2021, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Love your virtual quilt, B'stone, and your depression block. Are you making one of those for each Boom you participate in? It's a great idea. I never think to set aside my Boom scraps.

We are up to our eyebrows in paperwork for our new city house and mortgage. Can't wait til this phase of it is done! Good luck to everyone moving....
Old 08-06-2021, 09:26 AM

Wow! Antt59, Terriamn, Klaws, Ibex, Bibliostone and mjp, you have made beautiful blocks! What a pleasure to come here this afternoon and find all the pretties! Thank you all for your lovely work!

Reminder, everyone should be finishing up their blocks soon. They're due to me by the 19th, although I may extend the date since we're not going to be permanently in the new house for another week or so. The furniture is being picked up on Monday and delivery isn't until at least Friday. (Grrr, but that's the best we can get and that's not even certain. May be later. Double Grrrr.) I hope to email you the new address next week. We'll see. My apologies for this uncertainty. We never anticipated this furniture move to be pushed back repeatedly. Hang in there and keep posting your terrific block pix. Thanks! You all make my stressful days more enjoyable.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:17 AM

Bibliostone! Love the virtual quilt idea and your depression block. Talk about using all the bits and pieces! What program did you use to make the virtual quilt?

Terriamn, Janice and SBG - your moves are wearing me out! Hang in there! I do envy your new adventures yet to come because of your new location. SBG, I'm glad you'll still be close by. One day we should meet for coffee or tea. Maybe up there in Memphis so we can hit Ikea together. Travelinggramma - I like your permanent movement between the states. One day maybe I too can load my DH into an RV and whoosh... off we go.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:04 PM

Ibex94 thank you so much for my block. I love it!
Old 08-06-2021, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

Coffee or tea is a welcome invitation anytime, Ibex! JLMK.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
Bibliostone! Love the virtual quilt idea and your depression block. Talk about using all the bits and pieces! What program did you use to make the virtual quilt?
I use a free program called PhotoScape. It has a feature where you can combine photos. Just indicate how many columns you want and drag in the photos.

I usually try to make a half-square triangle for each fabric as soon as I complete each block. Sometimes I cannot use the same fabric I added if there is not enough dark/light contrast. Not only must each half-square triangle have contrast, but your dark must also read as dark against the other fabrics you add in other blocks. Thus I could not use the fabrics in Ahru's block because both of then were light.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:43 AM

Thank you for that lead on FREE software, Bibliostone! And for the "how to" hints. I struggle to pick colors that make the blocks pop. Your explanation came at a good time.

Klaws, I am glad you like it! I am making one for my patriotic quilt, too. I didn't use much of your fabric so you'll be getting a bunch of it back. I hope that's ok. I know it will make the
Old 08-07-2021, 07:24 AM

I am so glad that I got my blocks back to you early JaniceMC because the stress in my life just intensified 100% fold. Mom as you know is in hospice and at least that is a given. We had tragedy strike again this week and it has left my head reeling. I have a special needs sister in FL. When we hadn't heard from her and no one was answering a phone my other sister had the police do a welfare check. They had to break in the door. They found my BIL dead. He had been dead a couple days when he was found and my sister was barely clinging to life. Both victims of COVID! She is on a vent and not expected to make it. The plan is to put her into hospice care and discontinue the vent. The doctors have told us she will never come off the vent. On top of that there is severe brain damage. Her O2 sats were only 40% when they found her and told us she would have been dead within a couple hours if she hadn't been found when she was. The family is devastated. My BIL has no other family than our extended family. My one sister is taking care of everything and is their POA and Guardian. She flew to FL from MI 3 days ago. We are in touch all the time. I am still not processing this and feel like it is not possible. My sister should be calling me today for our regular 4pm call and I know it is not going to happen. I don't know what I am going to do.
Needless to say not sewing right now. I have a block cut out and laying on my sewing table. It will sit there for a little while. Pray for us.