Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie question - handpiecing >

Newbie question - handpiecing

Newbie question - handpiecing

Old 05-05-2021, 08:55 AM

Default Newbie question - handpiecing

Hello,

I have googled my brains out, and searched everywhere, but I have a fundamental question. I do handpiecing only. I never piece by machine (in fact mine is broken atm), so this might be why I can't find a suitable answer, but how do you cut through already-pieced blocks without the seams unraveling? Because I am cutting through the middle of the seam, and because it is not tightly machine-sewn, the pieces start to come apart. Does anyone have experience with this or tips for how I can cut through my pieced sections and keep them intact? I like to improvise and cut strips into thinner strips, so there's not much pre-planning going on...

TIA!!!
Old 05-05-2021, 10:24 AM

First off, I do minimal hand work so there are probably ways to do things I can't imagine. Hopefully someone has a better answer than mine.

The idea of cutting sewn strips is part of modern techniques since the rotary cutter and rulers, and does not translate well to hand sewing. There are many things in hand sewing that do not translate well to machines as well.

Most of how I work is with strips and cutting subunits, I use a small stitch even by sewing machine standards. Not quite sure what it comes down to in real life, but my Bernina turns on and defaults at 2.5, I typically prefer to stitch with a size 10 needle and my stitch down to 1.9.

If you are making a bunch of short seams, like 4-patches by hand, you can use a long thread and knot off each piece, leave some thread space and knot on the next piece. When you are ready, you cut the space. That can help keep sets of things together too.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

If I am understanding your question correctly - you sew pieces together - and then decide to "subcut" - ??

You could sew your seams with a backstich -

google: back stitching in hand sewing -

That is a seam that is very durable - and quite a challenge to remove! - but it would survive - up to a point - your units being cut apart without falling apart as easily as when one uses a running stitch.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:34 AM

Backstitching seems like your best bet. You could also put a dot of glue to hold the seam after you cut.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:43 AM

Thanks... I had not thought about the technique being incompatible with hand piecing. But it does make sense that this is not something people did before machines and rotary cutters, etc. Hm. I really hate listening to sewing machines, and bending over them, and just about all the frustrations I've had with them, but I may be looking at needing a machine to do what I want...
Old 05-05-2021, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
If I am understanding your question correctly - you sew pieces together - and then decide to "subcut" - ??

You could sew your seams with a backstich -

google: back stitching in hand sewing -

That is a seam that is very durable - and quite a challenge to remove! - but it would survive - up to a point - your units being cut apart without falling apart as easily as when one uses a running stitch.
Aha! backstitching! I don't know why that didn't occur to me! That might be the answer! Such a simple solution to something that's been vexing me for a little while now. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2021, 12:18 PM

I never cut through seams when I hand pieced. But it might just be me being paranoid about things coming apart later.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by petra_eloise View Post
I really hate listening to sewing machines, and bending over them, and just about all the frustrations I've had with them, but I may be looking at needing a machine to do what I want...
I don't have any advice re your original question, but re: listening to them - how about listening to music on earphones while you sew? re: bending over them - how about an adjustable chair with your machine at an ergonomic height that is proper for you? re: other frustrations - too vague to help you with, but this group is great at helping you solve problems. Some machines can be more troublesome than others. I have a Brother 1500, it's a basic machine, straight-stitch only, not computerized, but definitely a workhorse. I've used it as my "daily driver" for about 10 years now and have never needed to take it in for repair. Little bit of love comprised of oil, vacuuming out threads and dust, and some appreciative words, and she just purrs along. I bought mine used for $400, you can buy them new for about $700.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:16 AM

I agree with the backstitching when hand piecing. I don't do much of it any more but when I do any hand sewing I always use a back stitch. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:40 AM

You could also reverse engineer your process. Make planned cuts first and then stitch.