Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Minnesota Cabinet Sewing Machine >

Minnesota Cabinet Sewing Machine

Minnesota Cabinet Sewing Machine

Old 05-07-2021, 10:05 PM

Default Minnesota Cabinet Sewing Machine

Hello all, I own one of these machines but I really don't know anything about it other than it's quite beautiful and ornate. My husband bought it at an auction sale almost 20 years ago. I'm in a position where I'd like to sell it since I'll be moving in the near future and really don't want to have to move it if I don't have to. I haven't been able to determine the model number. It's in far from perfect shape. The piece of wood that goes from the treadle to the wheel is broken. I think someone tried to jam it shut since it gets a bit "sticky" at times when trying to close it. I'm pretty sure there's pieces missing on the machine itself. Thanks in advance for any help. I've got more photos if anyone needs or wants to see.
Attached Thumbnails 183691584_10158230395620933_3348948537064650685_n.jpg   184127199_10158230349420933_899715272492820457_n.jpg   184127204_10158230349700933_6278262004502867799_n.jpg   183574751_10158230395540933_3273007267264381075_n.jpg  

Last edited by Tigerlily_42; 05-07-2021 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 05-08-2021, 12:07 PM

Welcome to the Board! From what I can see here:

http://ismacs.net/sears/sears.html

I'm guessing a "Minnesota A" (or Davis Model E made for Sears). But the drawing I'm comparing your machine to isn't all that great. If you search for Davis Model E you might find additional pictures to confirm.

If you're looking to sell it, you're likely wondering what it's worth. That's a question that comes up regularly, here's a post with a few responses to that question.

Revere Precision Super De Luxe
Old 05-09-2021, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the response. I have been digging around trying to find something on this machine, at least so I can accurately describe it in an ad.

My husband likely paid way more than it's worth at the auction sale he got it at. I mentioned to him once that I like old sewing machines, and now I have 3 that are taking up space. This one has the neat cabinet but the machine itself has definitely seen better days and I'm sure it's missing parts.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tigerlily_42 View Post
Thanks for the response. I have been digging around trying to find something on this machine, at least so I can accurately describe it in an ad.

My husband likely paid way more than it's worth at the auction sale he got it at. I mentioned to him once that I like old sewing machines, and now I have 3 that are taking up space. This one has the neat cabinet but the machine itself has definitely seen better days and I'm sure it's missing parts.
Looking carefully at the photo, you can make out a large A at the "elbow". I'm currently getting a model S back up to speed. While these are beautiful machines, they often do not command the prices a Singer can bring. The good news is some of the Singer parts will fit it and it can be made into a working machine.
Let us know how you make out selling it!

Scott
Old 05-10-2021, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by ZombieDad View Post
Looking carefully at the photo, you can make out a large A at the "elbow". I'm currently getting a model S back up to speed. While these are beautiful machines, they often do not command the prices a Singer can bring. The good news is some of the Singer parts will fit it and it can be made into a working machine.
Let us know how you make out selling it!

Scott
I've got a Singer, too! While it doesn't have the fancy cabinet, the machine itself appears to be in much better shape. It does need a belt, though. There are even some bobbins that came with it. I think the last time it was used was around 1981, there's a calendar in one of the drawers. There is even a manual for it. Thanks to this forum, I'm considering marketing it as "zero carbon footprint" lol

Old 05-10-2021, 03:52 PM

Your machine does not appear to have many parts missing. Can you open the slide that has the serial # on it. pull it towards the operator. There should be a shuttle and a bobbin in it, though you may have to turn the hand wheel to see them. Don't get aggressive pulling it out. There is a piece called the pitman arm between the big wheel underneath to the rocker pedal that your feet rest on. They are a bit fragile and can be broken If they are wood. Easy to make another one though. Shuttle and bobbin look like this.
Attached Thumbnails vs-shuttle-bobbins-slide-arrow-b.jpg