Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Model 15 Singer (1901) Repair Possible? >

Model 15 Singer (1901) Repair Possible?

Model 15 Singer (1901) Repair Possible?

Old 05-08-2021, 10:14 AM

Question Model 15 Singer (1901) Repair Possible?

I am trying to find out if the sewing machine I received this week is repairable. It is one of the arms that hold the bobbin mechanism to the machine.

I couldn't get the pictures to post here. My son did this for me :-)

Broken Parts

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:54 AM

Welcome to the Board!

My initial reaction is that it is beyond repair. The broken piece is part of the cast metal base of the machine itself. I recently broke a part made of cast metal and an experienced welder told me there was no way to weld it because the cast metal would basically evaporate.

But I tried fixing it anyway, and I would try on yours. I used a two part epoxy, a single use Loc-Tite product, and used thin wire as rebar wherever I put the epoxy. The part I fixed doesn't have a lot of pressure on it, and doesn't move much in the machine either, and the machine works (at least for now). The problem with your part is that you can't get any epoxy in the threaded area nor on the "front" where the bobbin carrier fits in, which leaves limited areas for the bonding agent and "rebar".
Old 05-08-2021, 12:16 PM

Thank you so much for the reply. The worst that will happen is it won't work. I will give it a try.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:25 PM

The parts have to be clean, which for me would be a steel bristle brush and brake cleaner, which may end up cleaning other things as well so protect surfaces, and let the epoxy cure longer than the package says.

You can see a little of what I did, right in the middle of this picture. And that's just one side of it. There is epoxy and wire everywhere I could put it it without interfering with anything else.
Attached Thumbnails 20210508_152122.jpg  
Old 05-09-2021, 05:11 AM

I'd personally retire this machine as parts and look for another
Old 05-18-2021, 09:43 AM

Default Nothing is impossible

Somebody said it could not be done, but I wouldn't be one to admit it, so I stuck right in, with a trace of a grin and tackled the thing that couldnt be done and I did it!
lots of things people say are impossible are worth a shot. I was told so many times that my machine was worthless...that I'd never find parts they don't exist...that I'd never find needles they don't make them...that if I cleaned it I'd rub away all the dacals...that I'd I used wd40 anywhere in the same zip code it would melt...I've been told I needed my roof replaced damp course laid floors ripped up etc...I've never so far had a total failure where it didn't work when I tried. So give it a shot. the worse thing that happens is you don't get very far but even then you learn a lot along the way. I mean if you're trying to sell it its probably not worth it...if you just want to see it work again then its worth a try. If I had given up every time I was told I couldn't do something or it wasn't worth it I wouldn't have all the things that I am most proud of. Good luck! I have no advice on how to do anything except that trying and trying again usually works in the end!

Last edited by Coxgibbsinger; 05-18-2021 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Missed a word.