Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Sonata -1 machine fixed-I did it!!!! >

Sonata -1 machine fixed-I did it!!!!

Sonata -1 machine fixed-I did it!!!!

Old 05-11-2021, 09:16 AM

Default Sonata -1 machine fixed-I did it!!!!

Hello,
Well I have fixed one of the 2 Sonata 6610 machines that I had posted about before. After several well intended people told me to forget trying to fix it, I decided to try myself. I am a Chemist and studied physics as well. My Grandfather was a mechanical engineer, and used to call me his little engineer. Although he passed many many years ago, I could not get his voice out of my head.

The fix: First after struggling (like many youtube videos said) to get the cover off, I cleaned it out gently by blowing, and oiled the heck out of everything. Ran the mechanics well until it was running smooth.

Second: tension issue/bird nesting-----After making sure that the motor and all parts was running smoothly--nothing broken, no plastic parts were chipped etc, I turned to the bobbin area. There is a metal plate with a little notch that had 3 screws in it. It sat under the bobbin area cover, and the bobbin casing slides under it. I have no idea what the real name is for it. The plate slid left to right, moving how much it pressed on the bobbin casing. I had to slide this plate to just the right position to keep the bobbin casing from bouncing around, but also not to tight to prevent it from spinning. I am now sure that this was the cause of the bird nesting.

One down one to go!!!! New thread about that second Sonata issue to follow.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:02 AM

woooo hooo way to go
Old 05-11-2021, 10:49 AM

Wonderful! Never say Never. I am so glad you got one done and one to go. Let us know when the second one is up and going. Congratulations on the first one.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:15 PM

That's great! You get such a sense of accomplishment bringing one of these "old gals" back to full function.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:41 PM

That's terrific!! Glad you gave it a try and succeeded.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:42 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Heathermom2opmc View Post
... There is a metal plate with a little notch that had 3 screws in it. It sat under the bobbin area cover, and the bobbin casing slides under it. I have no idea what the real name is for it. The plate slid left to right, moving how much it pressed on the bobbin casing. I had to slide this plate to just the right position to keep the bobbin casing from bouncing around, but also not to tight to prevent it from spinning. I am now sure that this was the cause of the bird nesting....
Congratulations. Doesn't it feel good?

I didn't realize the bobbin case had three screws, generally I thought it was only 2. I don't remember quite what my niece's machine bobbin case holder was like. If your manual is like the one I downloaded from Singer, It looks like it would be chapter 9 of the manual "Caring for Your Machine" that tells how to remove and replace the bobbin case.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:33 AM

That’s great! I was kind of sad about the negative responses to your other post.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:29 AM

Great!! I'm a big fan of trying to fix something first before tossing it.