Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Cal. King Summer Quilt >

Cal. King Summer Quilt

Cal. King Summer Quilt

Old 06-22-2021, 02:08 PM

Default Cal. King Summer Quilt

As some of you know, I've been working on a Cal. King quilt for our bed for years now. I started it years ago & worked on & off with it forever! DD & I picked out fat quarters that we liked along with some of my stash & here is the final results. I put way too much time in planning this quilt & deciding on just how I would finish it. It was hard to make a final decision on how to complete it as I knew I could not wrestle with it under my small throated domestic machine & did not have funds to send it out to a long arm quilter. First I thought about QAYG but decided against that. I finally decided on making it a summer quilt with no batting in the center. So, I presented the question to the forum here on & off through the years & got lots of good advice. I was going to put it together using the pillow case technique by sewing the front & back together (right sides together) & then turning it inside out, then quilting it & calling it done. Then I decided to layer it wrong sides together & quilt it & then put a binding on it just as I would when I make a regular quilt. I quilted around each block with stitch in the ditch. I love, love, love the results! I'm so happy, pleased & proud of how it turned out. It's so pretty on our bed & so comfortable to sleep under.
Attached Thumbnails cal.-king-summer-quilt.jpg  

Last edited by osewme; 06-22-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:21 PM

Stunning!!!!!!!

Old 06-22-2021, 02:39 PM

You did a wonderful job! Love your color choices and the pattern too, congratulations on the finish!
Old 06-22-2021, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

Great quilt!
Old 06-22-2021, 02:53 PM

Where there is a will there is a way as the old saying goes. You certainly proved that true. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful quilt. Love the colors. You proved overthinking can create stunning results.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:47 PM

Thank you so much for your kind words. I found the pattern in the June, 2010 issue of Quilter's World & it's called Got the Blues & was designed by Karla Schulz. I made the quilt larger than the original pattern & mine finished out at 93" x 103". I would have loved to have made it long & wide enough to drape down to the floor but I would have been at it forever before I got it finished & I was ready for the finish.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:19 PM

So happy for your finish. Just lovely. Wonderful job.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:51 PM

So happy for you on your finish! Good for you for staying with it! I love your blues and pattern choice!
Old 06-22-2021, 06:01 PM

It sure turned out gorgeous. Being made in my favorite color gave it extra points. We used to call the pillow case technique "birthing" a quilt but I haven't seen that term lately. Well done.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:18 PM

Default Cal King Summer Quilt.

Beautiful quilt. Love those colours.. Thank you for sharing.