Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sizing Spray vs. Starch Spray >

Sizing Spray vs. Starch Spray

Sizing Spray vs. Starch Spray

Old 06-27-2021, 09:05 AM

Default Sizing Spray vs. Starch Spray

What's the difference? I didn't even know there was sizing spray until I sent my DD to the store to pick me up some starch and she texted me which one did I want - sizing or starch? Honestly, I didn't know how to answer her as I wasn't sure exactly what sizing spray was as compared to starch so I had her get the starch cause that's what I've always used, but I'm interested in hearing what your expertise/experience is in regards. Do they serve different purposes? Which do you prefer for piecing blocks and why? Pros and cons?
Old 06-27-2021, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

Sizing is more for crisp finish, starch is more for a stiff finish.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:28 PM

I prefer starch, but I get the concentrated and mix it 60/40, 60 being the starch, it goes a lot further and is considerably cheaper than the cans of starch. A lot of people don't understand how to use the starch and because of this they have problems with flaking and gunk on the iron. That's because they're ironing the starch and not the fabric. To use it without problems, spray the right side of the fabric, roll or wad it up and stick in a large ziplok bag for a minimum of 2 hours, remove and air dry, iron, you can either use steam or spray water. I use a garden sprayer because I have problems with my wrist, and you can adjust the spray how you like it.
Old 06-27-2021, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellieagain View Post
To use it without problems, spray the right side of the fabric, roll or wad it up and stick in a large ziplok bag for a minimum of 2 hours, remove and air dry, iron, you can either use steam or spray water.
2 hours?? I don't have that kind of time. I spray the fabric (doesn't matter what side), then I spray again with water. Wait about a minute or so, then iron. The water helps the starch soak into the fabric instead of sitting on top of it. This method has worked for me for the last 5 years.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:36 PM

This sounds strange but the members of my quilting club make a Drunken Fabric Spray. I think the recipe is one part vodka and 2 parts water. They put it in alcohol bottles and when needed they put it in a spray bottle. I have not used it but I bought my first bottle for seventy five cents. Everyone says it really works.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

I won't spend that much starching quilting fabric even thought it is the correct way to saturate, let dry, and then iron. I have had great results using fabric wrinkle release spray and then ironing. A Teflon pressing sheet keeps build up off the iron if that is a problem.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Reader1 View Post
The members of my quilting club make a Drunken Fabric Spray. I think the recipe is one part vodka and 2 parts water. They put it in alcohol bottles and when needed they put it in a spray bottle.
This is the equivalent of linen water or spray, which is used when pressing out wrinkles, and often essential oil is added for scent. But please understand, it is not a starch. People mistakenly believe that because it has vodka in it, it therefore has starch, but the distillation process removes anything that could be considered starchy.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:07 AM

Peckish, Some of the members of my quilting group have been making their own spray using potato based vodka for a long time. Some like it, others not so much. Isn't that just the way things go. If it isn't really starch, why not just spray with water. I find that many fabrics have enough "stuff" in them that all they need is a little freshening up with a spray of water. I can just see them shrinking and going ahhhhh.

So, back to the original question. I use starch and not sizing. It works for me. Perhaps it is what do you want to accomplish. Simply iron out wrinkles? Water works just fine. I starch the stuff'ins out of the fabric when cutting on the bias and then my accuracy improves.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:16 AM

I use cheap spray starch, spay it on, let it soak in for a few minutes and iron it. No problems and no flakes. I also use Best Press just because someone gave me a bottle.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:15 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
I use cheap spray starch, spay it on, let it soak in for a few minutes and iron it. No problems and no flakes. I also use Best Press just because someone gave me a bottle.
Me, too! but I'll try vodka!