Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cold supper >

Cold supper

Cold supper

Old 06-29-2021, 02:10 AM

Great ideas, everyone. Please keep them coming. My favorite cool meal is a chicken salad with grapes and curry mayonnaise. We just finished a tuna pasta salad with crushed pineapple. I have also been putting out crudites with blue cheese dressing as a dip nightly. Almost no work.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:21 AM

We like our deviled eggs sharpish with a bit of crunch--finely chopped green onions and dill pickle, miracle whip, bit of yellow mustard and a bit of vinegar. One night, I had no miracle whip and substituted some ceasar salad dressing. It was a nice change.

A hint--for the richest and creamiest filling, add a dollop of room temperature butter to the yolks.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
................A hint--for the richest and creamiest filling, add a dollop of room temperature butter to the yolks.
Because .... Everything is Better with Butter!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2021, 11:41 AM

Love deviled eggs, I make mine with mayo, celery, green onions, a little mustard, thank goodness all my grandkids love them this way. Now i am hungry for them.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Curious, what does the weather have to do with what and when you cook/bake? I can't tell any difference that my oven is on during the summer no more then the ice cream is in the freezer in winter. I probably wouldn't want hot soup after working outside in the sun but making the soup wouldn't be a problem because it was too hot outside.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

OneByOne ... Many don't want to add heat into their homes,
when it is already beyond hot!
Old 06-30-2021, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Curious, what does the weather have to do with what and when you cook/bake? I can't tell any difference that my oven is on during the summer no more then the ice cream is in the freezer in winter. I probably wouldn't want hot soup after working outside in the sun but making the soup wouldn't be a problem because it was too hot outside.
There is an unprecedented heat wave happening right now in the PNW and western Canada. Those areas do not historically experience the extreme high temperatures that are occurring right now. Records are being broken . Because this heat is not the norm, a great deal of us don’t have AC because it was never a necessity. Where I live we only get about 5 hours of darkness. It starts to cool after dark but the sun is up in a few hours. Having the oven on just adds to the already unbearably hot house.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

Oh my, I would have ac units in every window. LOL
Old 06-30-2021, 12:06 PM

We were eating a lot of grilled chicken salads for supper. I was also making a lot of icy smoothies. I love the idea of deviled eggs though. I like a smooth filling with a bit of mustard.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:42 PM

Here in northern Minnesota, we never had A/C as normally it would be cool in the evening and we would just open the windows to cool the house off. But now, as things have been heating up, we do have A/C but in my childhood, nope...no using the oven during the warmer days of summer as it did heat up the house. Similarly, a lot of baking was done on the coldest days of winter.